_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Any SBS on using brass supports for stands?
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 1,794 posts
Model Shipwrights: 47 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 06:47 AM UTC
Hi all,

As I am new to ship building I'm trying to find some sort of 'guide' (or at least a discussion) on using/installing metal (brass?) stands for ship models. As I am building my very first ship (sub) I thought about getting some nice brass pieces to use as stands as the ones provided by Trumpeter are not all that well done.

Any feedback on this will be appreciated!

Rob
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 14, 2010 - 10:58 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi all,

As I am new to ship building I'm trying to find some sort of 'guide' (or at least a discussion) on using/installing metal (brass?) stands for ship models. As I am building my very first ship (sub) I thought about getting some nice brass pieces to use as stands as the ones provided by Trumpeter are not all that well done.

Any feedback on this will be appreciated!

Rob

Ahoy, Rob,
Glad to see that you've jumped into the salty side of the hobby, mate!
What sub are you building? Us shipbuilders LOVE details, my friend, please fill us in!

As far as an SBS for pedestal display stands, Here is a good one to check out....

Cheers,
~Gunny
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 02:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Ahoy, Rob,
Glad to see that you've jumped into the salty side of the hobby, mate!
What sub are you building? Us shipbuilders LOVE details, my friend, please fill us in!

Thanks for the feedback, Gunny! I'm working on the 1/144 Trumpeter USS Seawolf SSN-21. I've been building WWII artillery and aircraft for a long time but as I've always been fun of the U.S. Navy I decided that it was time to change landscapes a bit. I got the itch for the Seawolf after watching Crimson Tide the other day (although I know that the Alabama was/is not a Seawolf class sub) and also because I've had the Trumpy kit on the shelf for about 4 years.

If this first adventure with 'salty' things is successful I know I'll be getting more of them and already planning a Los Angeles or Ohio class sub right after this one.

Anyway, thank much for the link. Will be looking at how I can get a nice stand for this boat.

Rob
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 03:06 AM UTC
Sounds good Rob!
Please feel free to share your build images here in our forums, mate, we love to look at other builds!

Good luck with the stand, I don't think you'll have a problem with it...
GALILEO1
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
Posted: Friday, January 15, 2010 - 03:29 AM UTC
Thanks, Gunny!

Thanks to your link I'll be getting the pedestals I was after. I went ahead and ordered a couple to try out. Will also be following that nice guide on how to do this as it will be my first attempt.

Looking forward to try this out and hopefully I'll be able to post some in-progress pics of the build and display.

Thanks again,

Rob
 _GOTOTOP