_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
PHOTOS: MODEL
USS New Jersey (BB-62)
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 02:47 AM UTC
Kostas Katseas (angeleyes) shares a fine gallery of images of his build of the USS New Jersey (BB-62), in this "On Display" Feature!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 28, 2010 - 06:33 AM UTC
Excellent work, as usual. I really like the painting party over the side.

djandj
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Friday, January 29, 2010 - 06:40 AM UTC
While the build is good and always love Katseas' work - I'm surprised to see the NJ so weathered. I've never seen an commissioned US warship that "distressed" ever. Especially not a capital ship such as NJ. Was it a commissioned work or something?
Angeleyes
Visit this Community
Drama, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 154 posts
Model Shipwrights: 149 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 12:11 PM UTC
Nop....i was just trying the hull plating technique , and how to bring it up through oil washes, and kept applying more and more and more....I agree with you, normally you wouldnt see it so weathered .Just carried away a bit i guess.
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,355 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 04:37 PM UTC
Kostas,

I was impressed while looking at the first few photos.
But my jaw dropped when I saw the one with the lighter!! I thought I was doing something detailing a 1/72 scale Abrams!!

Great job!
djandj
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 06:20 PM UTC
Well you nailed the hull plating thing for sure. But a question - if 1/700 is just that - 1/700th of the real thing, wouldn't the hull plating be virtually invisible of our scale of ship?

That aside how did you get all the lines perfectly parallel etc?
Angeleyes
Visit this Community
Drama, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 154 posts
Model Shipwrights: 149 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 10:39 PM UTC
Yes and no.Let me explain.
If you view a model of 1/700 from a meter away , or take a shot from same distance then you wouldnt be able to see such details , as in real life you wouldnt be able to see them being almost 700 meters away from it, hence the perception of the scale is correct .
But if i choose to depict them then what happens is this:I create a visual illusion that the ship is much closer through the macro shot i take , forcing the observer to think that if he can distinguish such tiny details , then he must be a lot closer to the subject too , and also 'enlarging' the model in the shot, changing the perspective of the observer .He is no longer 700 meters away but somewhat closer .Same as when you start walking towards something and as you do more and more smaller details become noticeable.Finally when you are right next to it , you can clearly see all of them.
I hope this explains it in a way.

As for the lines , apply masking tape and slowly drag the knife along the edge of the tape to create each line.
 _GOTOTOP