bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 08:54 AM UTC
HMS Echo 003
HMS Echo 027
This is my first diorama of 2010, a E-Class destroyer HMS Echo had a very colourful history throughout WW2
HMS Echo 033
HMS Echo 034
The buildings, and basically everything else is stuck down with PVA glue, the sea effect is simply a piece of MDF painted dark green and a very thin layer or acrylic gel allowed to dry and the tugboat, just a touch of light grey and bright white for the churn of water as it pushes the Echo slowly against the harbour wall, again, MDF with a smuttering of plastic bits and pieces, the large oil tanks are wooden buttons (one cut in half) the buildings, plastic again cut in half, and one PE large shed, a quick diorama deliberatly set into a dull envioroment, if there's a chance of both good and bad comments, then please feel free to leave them for me, thank you.
HMS Echo 024
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 09:11 AM UTC
Nice Al.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 03:00 PM UTC
Yes Al, very nice. I like the way you use different materials, i.e. non-modeling, to build your dio. I also like the rigging. What did you use?

I have a couple suggestions, or comments. From everything I've read about the RN, the First Lieutenants, the officer in charge of order on ship, were pretty fanatical about neatness. Unless the guns and torpedo tubes were actually in use they would be trained fore and aft. The jack, national flag, aft was only flown there when the ship was not under way. When the mooring lines were cast off the flag was switched to the main mast, the after mast in the case of your Echo.

Those are just small quibbles.
djandj
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 06:09 PM UTC
Alec: A nice model no doubt. I think you used stretched sprue for the rigging, however, it's way to thick for the scale (1/700) Look at pics of real ships. You can almost never see the rigging. (and that's full scale) So, as a general rule, if you can readily see the rigging on a 1/700 ship, it's too large. Try getting some 20 Denier fly tying monofiliment. It is the proper scale and once you get used to it, it's pretty easy to work with. PM me for full details if you'd like.

David
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 31, 2010 - 08:22 PM UTC
Thank you all very much for those constructive remarks, I shall do my best to carry these onto my next model, I never knew about the flag swapping over, just goes to prove you learn something new every day. Thank you again.
 _GOTOTOP