_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
waterlining a full hull model
bmill25
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 26 posts
Model Shipwrights: 14 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 01:01 AM UTC
I read Kym Knight's aritcle on this site and was impressed at the work he does. I also want to waterline a full hull ship, but the problem is that its the Revel Graf Zepplin. Its a 1/700 (not sure if that makes a difference), and the hull aren't split in half. Would these make a difference if I would use Kym's technique? Thanks. Brian Miller.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 04, 2010 - 11:00 PM UTC
Hi Brian,
The answer to your question is yes, the technique can be used on solid hull ships as well, actually, it's a bit easier because of the integrity of the solid mold is greater than a split hull mold...the key to any water-lining full hull kits is to strengthen the integrity of the hull before you start sawing and sanding on the bugger, which can be done like Kym has, with the hull supports supplied with the kit, or as in your case, you may want to add some strength with some small pieces of plastic stock across the inner hull, or the use of expanding foam or resin to add some beef to the hull to prevent any accidents or warping during the process...best advice overall is to take your time!
 _GOTOTOP