_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling: Creating Ship Dioramas
Topics on building dioramas are grouped here
Diorama suggestions, advise and help please.
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 08:58 AM UTC
Quite a title - then again this is quite a question. First of all, like myself, I am sure you've had a project that for whatever reason you keep putting it off, yeah I'll start that tomorrow. That never comes, and today is always falling into yesterday.
I want to build a diorama using the Japinese Defence Force Ship Shimokita as the king-pin, this ship has a pair of Chinook SH-60J patrol helicopter and 2 LCAC's as well as type 90/89 advance, 4x4 6 ton trucks, you're beginning to see how this can make a diorama.
Problem number 1 - I am completely strapped for space, so that must be of prime consideration.
Problem number 2 - I want a naval base, buildings, perhaps even a mountain or two.
Problem number 3 - no matter what happens, nothing on this diorama can be more then 180mm or 7 inches wide.
Okay, these are the major problems I am facing, could you please give me some thought, advise, help, planning to get this off the deck, if I said I have been wanting to do this for a year, I'm not kidding, every time I get the model out, look at the parts, I put the darn thing back. Mental block ? You are not joking.
Really looking forward to your reply.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 11:36 AM UTC
Hey Alec, go on line and look up images of Sasebo. You'll be amazed at how compact that modern naval base is, and since it's in Japan, its surrounded by hills.

--Karl
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 06:26 PM UTC
Aye Capt Karl - that was a first rate idea, while I was expecting to see a little bit of a harbour or dockyard, Sasebo in Japan openned into several pages, although I had no knowledge of this place, I am pleased you shared it wit me. This has also thrown up problems as well as some good ideas, remember I need to get a diorama no more then 7 inches wide, it can be 32 inches long, but no less then 7 inches wide. Thank you for the reply.
sasebo2
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, February 10, 2010 - 11:22 PM UTC
Here is my little D-Day diorama I built last year, not a bad effort and although mistakes have been made here and there, I still believe this is one of my better offerings, the base is measured in mm which is 230mmx510mm or in old money 9 inches by 20 inches.
D-Day 001
with just 10 ships, this 9 inch border is 2 inches over-sized for this new think-tank, yes I'm going to struggle, and this why I require help planning ahead.
 _GOTOTOP