_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
My PT Boat (ELCO 80 footer)
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 12:23 PM UTC
Hi to all on ModelShipwrights,

This is my version of the Italieri PT Boat. First, a disclaimer, this is not an EXACT model of the PT-328. It is the way my boat might have looked if I was a PT Skipper. I picked the number 328 because it happens to be a veteran boat as well as my wife's birthday . I found out later that the Italieri boat built out of the box would've been a replica of the actual PT-328 .

The figures are mostly Italieri with Hornet heads, and a few from Warriors. All have been modified to some extent. The depth charges came from U-Models, and the extra helmets are from my scrap box.

Posted below are some pictures, please feel free to reply with any comments/questions/criticisms etc.

Thanks for looking,
Al

(Click on Thumbnails below to view full size images)

russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Model Shipwrights: 151 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 02:02 PM UTC
Beautifully done. I keep dreaming of getting one of these when I'm "good enough" to justify the expense and make it turn out nice. Your figures and the flag give it a fluid motion.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 03:12 PM UTC
Thanks Russ, I've always liked PT boats and wanted a kit like this one for a long time. It was worth the wait. The flag is the kit decal applied to a piece of aluminum foil that I applied primer to first. I wrapped and glued it around the halyard and then added the folds. Al
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 05:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi to all on ModelShipwrights,

This is my version of the Italieri PT Boat. First, a disclaimer, this is not an EXACT model of the PT-328. It is the way my boat might have looked if I was a PT Skipper. I picked the number 328 because it happens to be a veteran boat as well as my wife's birthday . [

Personally I like the idea of making a "fantasy" model. I have a P51 and Sherman M4A1 (76) that I have personalized as though they had been mine. I'd love to do a PT someday. Of course I also enjoy doing historical subjects (I'm currently working on vehicles from my Dad's Battalion.)
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 21, 2010 - 11:29 PM UTC
Hello John, I also like to model as realistically as possible when it is possible. I believe in "plausible deniability". I wouldn't put a German quad 20mm flakvierling on a PT boat. But any other combination of weapons or equipment that were used on actual PT's is acceptable to me. If I was building a model of a particular subject (like JFK's PT-109) I would try to be as accurate as possible. I just don't feel constrained to do it all of the time. I think a lot of modelers spend so much time researching every aspect of what they're attempting to portray that they don't actually build it. I do try try to research to a point but allow myself some artistic license from time to time. Like the song says, You can't please everyone so you got to please yourself.
Al
jowady
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 05:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello John, I also like to model as realistically as possible when it is possible. I believe in "plausible deniability". I wouldn't put a German quad 20mm flakvierling on a PT boat. But any other combination of weapons or equipment that were used on actual PT's is acceptable to me. If I was building a model of a particular subject (like JFK's PT-109) I would try to be as accurate as possible. I just don't feel constrained to do it all of the time. I think a lot of modelers spend so much time researching every aspect of what they're attempting to portray that they don't actually build it. I do try try to research to a point but allow myself some artistic license from time to time. Like the song says, You can't please everyone so you got to please yourself.
Al

At its root, any hobby should be fun. For some folks, and at some times, that means making everything as accurate as possible, at others, well . . . For example, TO&Es will tell you that my Dad's unit's sidearms (it was a AAA Btn) were largely composed of carbine's,but my Dad said that they managed to scounge up enough M1s that almost everyone had one. For part of the war his personal weapon, in addition to his .45 was a BAR! Its accurate for his unit, and at a point during the war. I agree, i try to be historically correct about what might appear on a vehicle or ship, but try to remember always that someone might pick up a souvenir and carry it for a while. My Dad said that they used to stock up on German equipment and then head back and trade with folks from the 9th AF!. I have a great photo that I just scanned of my dad in his ODs, wearing a German officers hat!. When I figure out how to do it, I think that I will make it my Avatar, as a tribute to him and all who fought for Freedom in that horrible war.

I grew up wishing that I was on the PT 73, or in stalag 13, or the Great Escape and all that. But my Father always took us to the Cemeteries, Arlington and ACW Battlefield's, because he wanted us to know the costs paid by the men. I always try to bear that in mind when I build something.

John
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 07:29 AM UTC
John, a few years ago I did a small diorama I called "Requiem: Bloody Tarawa". It featured an Amtrac with several Marines aboard, in the lagoon, against the seawall. It was set on November 23,1943 after the island was secured. The focal point was one Marine standing on the seawall, looking back out over that lagoon and remembering the cost of crossing it. A friend from our club, who was a Marine, took it to a meeting of the local chapter of the Marine Corps League that he belongs to. One old WW2 Marine veteran commented on it. He said it was just the way he remembered Tarawa. It was, and is the best compliment I ever received. Al
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 09:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I found out later that the Italieri boat built out of the box would've been a replica of the actual PT-328

Don't know where that information came from, but it's incorrect. 328 was part of the 314-367 group, while 596 was part of the 565-624 group. The cockpit and position of the forward turret are very different between the two groups.

Al Ross
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 10:20 AM UTC
Hello Al, I was going by the color plate in the center spread of Squadron's "PT Boats in action". It looks the same as the Italeri boat and is identified as PT-328. Al
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 11:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello Al, I was going by the color plate in the center spread of Squadron's "PT Boats in action". It looks the same as the Italeri boat and is identified as PT-328. Al

That rendering is one of a number of errors in that monograph. The illustrator appears to have little familiarity with the boats. 328 was up-gunned to 565 configuration at some point (see photo), but the basic structure remained the same, so the Italeri kit would have to be modified quite a bit to accurately depict 328.

Al
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 11:34 AM UTC
Thanks for the correction Al, I've seen that photo before and from that angle the 328 does resemble the 596. It always pays to have more than one reference. Al
FirstMass
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, February 22, 2010 - 04:39 PM UTC
Nice job. Could you please tell me what you used for figures? Were they stock figures from Italeri and Warriors or were some of them converted/scratch built?

Thanks.

Brian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 07:36 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice job. Could you please tell me what you used for figures? Were they stock figures from Italeri and Warriors or were some of them converted/scratch built?

Thanks.

Brian

Thanks Brian, There are 16 crewmen, four of the figures are from Warriors, the rest came from two sets of the Italeri crewmen. The Captain and the helmsman are a two figure set from Warriors. I replaced the Captains head, the helmsman is stock. The bow gunner on the 37mm and the gunner in the after .50 cal turret are also from Warriors. The 37mm gunner had his hands replaced. The ones he came with were molded as one piece with the hand grips for the gun. The .50 cal gunner also had his hands replaced. The Italeri crewmen all had their heads replaced with Hornet items. You get five different heads in a Hornet set. I used three different sets, one with bare heads, one with sailor hats, and one with helmets. There is some duplication of heads on several of the figures. But by placing them carefully it is not too obvious. The 37mm gunner and the seated 40mm gunner for example. Most of them also had the collars of the life jackets built up with putty because I thought they were too flat. The figure that gave me the most grief was the seated 40mm gunner. I had to carve a notch in the back of his life jacket so he would fit in his seat. His hands won't grip the the hand cranks without surgery to his arms, I didn't bother. The seaman climbing out of the forward hatch is actually one of the seated gunners with different arms. I also wanted a second officer. There is one figure in the Italeri set that doesn't have his dungarees cuffed. I just painted him in khakis and gave him a hornet head that was looking up. I also mixed and matched arms on several figures for variety. I highly reccomend using the heads from Hornet, they make a big improvement in the Italeri crew. Al
FirstMass
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 252 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 01:32 PM UTC
Thanks Al. That's some great and very useful information. I was hoping you'd get specific but was hesitant to ask -- knowing how buy everyone is. This information will be a great help when I get around to crewing my PT.

Thanks again.

Brian
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 23, 2010 - 10:27 PM UTC
You're welcome Brian, I'm always glad to help out in any way that I can. If you have any other questions feel free to ask, I'll answer as best as I can. Al
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 03:19 AM UTC
Just as an aside,

A modeler who's also a draughtsman, named Wayne Traxel has stated that the Italeri kit could be used to do any mid war Elco going back to PT-372 ...
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 12:06 PM UTC
Hi Al. Nice boat you got there. Really would not expect anything less from ya though. Splended action with the figures. I think you could add a few more weapons, can't carry enough, ( quote ). Paint job came out good too. Now on to the vosper, eh? Talk to you latter.
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 01:04 PM UTC
Thanks Bob, The one thing I liked most about the PT's was the creativity of their crews in up-gunning their boats. The Vosper would definitely be on the ever increasing list of kits to acquire and maybe even build. Al
jowady
Posted: Wednesday, February 24, 2010 - 03:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Bob, The one thing I liked most about the PT's was the creativity of their crews in up-gunning their boats. The Vosper would definitely be on the ever increasing list of kits to acquire and maybe even build. Al

Funny thing about the Vosper, I haven't eseen McHale's Navy for years, but I think that the PT 73 in the show was actually a Vosper. I'm going to admit that I have an M47 and M48 painted as "Tigers" from all those movies I saw as a kid. Funniest thing I remember about us seeing the "Battle of the Bulge" movie when I was a kid was my Dad's comment (an Ardennes vet), "they must have been in a different battle than I was."

John
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, February 25, 2010 - 02:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Funny thing about the Vosper, I haven't eseen McHale's Navy for years, but I think that the PT 73 in the show was actually a Vosper. I'm going to admit that I have an M47 and M48 painted as "Tigers" from all those movies I saw as a kid. Funniest thing I remember about us seeing the "Battle of the Bulge" movie when I was a kid was my Dad's comment (an Ardennes vet), "they must have been in a different battle than I was."

John

Hello John, you do remember correctly, McHale's PT-73 was a Vosper. If I remember correctly it was of a type that was used by Russia through Lend-Lease. Hollywood does play fast and loose with history. I don't mind them substituting Pattons for Tigers. There aren't too many real Tigers around. I remember being impressed with Kelly's Heroes because they actually had tanks that resembled Tigers. I do mind when they rewrite history though. I guess we have to remember it is only entertainment after all. It is nice that there has been a trend towards realism recently, Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, and the upcoming The Pacific series, for example. I did notice they threw a little romance into The Pacific, I guess to entice female viewers. Al
 _GOTOTOP