I had this crazy idea
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 09:10 AM UTC
dock 1 012
Hello there, I brought and built this dock not realising how high the ground level would be, I've now got this crazy idea of cutting it in half and placing one half against the back of a diorama, in my view this dock from Fujimi would never be good enough for cetre stage, originally I wanted this off to one side.
dock 1 007
The major problem is obviously the base of the dock, which is 1" high, my dockyard diorama (land side) would be 6mm high where varied surface ships would rest against, as you'll see, it would be quite impossible to have this dock 1" high and the surrounding land only 1 quarter of that size, so if anyone has any ideas, then please let me know.
dock 1 008
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,184 posts
Model Shipwrights: 204 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 02:44 AM UTC
Alec, If I understand you correctly,it seems your problem is the height of the bottom of your dry dock to the actual height of the water. You will probably have to raise the base of your water so it is even with the height desired of your dock. If the water is normally up to the doors in your dry dock, then you will have to build up with something to bring the ocean up to height were it belongs. It doesn't look like you will be able to get away with a shallow dio base if you want to include the dry dock. I think the depth will enhance the view and give a perspective of how large they really are. As far as cuttng your dry dock in half, I'm not sure how the over head gantries would look chopped like that. Looking at dio's, when you chop a tank like that to the edge of the dio, I personally think it is a distraction. If you have available to you, Verlinden Produtions Modeling Magazine, volume 2, number 2, center spread and following pages, shows what Bob Letterman did with his dry dock. Hope this is of some hel to you.
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 07, 2010 - 03:08 AM UTC
Thank you Bob -
 _GOTOTOP