_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Why I prefer 1/350 scale
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,821 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 06, 2010 - 07:33 PM UTC
You guys who do 1/700 scale regularly have my total admiration. I've been working on the Trumpeter 1/700 USS Hornet and I have this observation, the parts are TOO BLASTED SMALL! For illustration I give you two items, both a 37mm, 1.1 inch, quad AA gun from a U.S. ship.

On the left a 1/350 scale piece from the DML Laffey, on the right a piece from the 1/700 scale Hornet. The DML piece you can see the individual barrels, and it's quite detailed. The Trumpeter piece is a small blob, vaguely resembling a gun.

The parts in 1/700 are so small I can barely get them to show up in a photo, even using macro zoom.

I just spent 45 minutes working on some aircraft, one each of a B-25, SBD, TBD, F4F. The result? A tail dragging B25, an SBD that is leaning badly to port, a TBD missing all of it's landing gear, victims of tweezer flinging, and a F4F minus it's tail wheel. I shudder to think of the time you folks must do that have an entire air group on deck in 1/700 scale.

I know that 1/700 costs less, takes up less room, and there are more ships available in this scale. Still for the sake of my eyes, and my sanity, not to mention possibly saving my Grandson from hearing some pretty colorful language, I'll stick to 1/350 in the future.

bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, March 08, 2010 - 05:52 PM UTC
Hello there, I hope you don't mind, with 1-700 scale there's quite a lot to see, sadly its only apparent when you photograph it, then all the mistakes come to the surface, with aircraft and even helicopters you can actually get a lot of detail. All else fail then there's photoetch, and very much the same in 1-350 you'll buy pacific kits for varied ships, I've brought the IJN destroyer Kagero and along with the PE kit, but you'll not go far wrong with skywave which is basically pitroad or tamiya.
 _GOTOTOP