These topics dealing with buidling bases and water effects are grouped together
What size styrene do I need ?
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 06:25 AM UTC
Hello there, in this photo at the top, is a huge building that I would like to try and build, I've never attempted anything like this before, and would like advise and help suggesting what would be the best way to begin.
dockyard
I can't even begin to imagine where to start, at a guess, I'd say brake it down into basic components, the 4 walls, roof and so on, but where I would actually begin, and begin with what first, this is the reason I am asking here -------------- haven't got a clue about this one, I do know the price of 1-700 buildings is way high, and if I can build my own, and other people can also build, then that's great. Look forward to your reply.
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 10:01 AM UTC
Hi Alec,

Quite the ambitious project you have selected there! That said, all that stands between you and its' completion is a little time and dedication.

I recently found two sets of Verlinden Productions WWII Military Shipyard and Equipments Set One and Two, Stock Numbers 2497 and 2501 at the local Hobbytown USA Store. Questioning Joey, the owner, he told me that the pair are current production and listed in his master catalog. These are 1/700 scale buildings in Photoetched Brass that also have some figures and single and twin street lamp poles. Parts of these sets with the addition of a few bits of styrene sheet would allow you to cobble up a few very nice buildings such as the ones, including the big one, shown in the photograph. You could also check Sky Wave, Tamiya, and or Fujimi, they have a few building sets in 1/700 under the titles of Harbor Set and Military Factory as well as a Fletcher Class Dry Dock. These are all styrene molded types. Don't mind the old price sticker on the Sky Wave box, sorta shows how long I have had it laying about the stash.

bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 14, 2010 - 08:16 PM UTC
Hello Jay - there are actually 3 in the series of Verlinden photoetch building, the one you have missing is called WW2 military shipyard, each pack has a code and this will be 2504, this has one huge hanger like building, 3 check point huts, and 3 craines.
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Monday, March 15, 2010 - 11:38 AM UTC
Thanks for the heads up Alec, I will have to start pestering Joey to cough one up.
 _GOTOTOP