_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
anyone have pics of destroyers in high seas?
silent-one
Visit this Community
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 86 posts
Model Shipwrights: 70 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 28, 2010 - 07:44 PM UTC
I intend to make a IJN destroyer this year and Im hoping to make a base with it toiling in high seas. As its a full hull Im thinking of having all or part of the bow out or partially out of the water as the ship pushes over a wave. However Ive trawled the net and cant find any useful pictures I can use as a inspiration to draw on. Can anyone here point me in the right direction.

Ive seen a similarly displayed model, I think by Jeff Lin but Im looking for source photos of the real thing.

Hope someone can help
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 02:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I intend to make a IJN destroyer this year and Im hoping to make a base with it toiling in high seas. As its a full hull Im thinking of having all or part of the bow out or partially out of the water as the ship pushes over a wave. However Ive trawled the net and cant find any useful pictures I can use as a inspiration to draw on. Can anyone here point me in the right direction.

Ive seen a similarly displayed model, I think by Jeff Lin but Im looking for source photos of the real thing.

Hope someone can help

Well, Allen,
I don't have any IJN vessel images on hand at the moment, BUT....I do have these, and if you can use your imagination and place your destroyer in the mist, maybe they can be a bit o' help, mate.....

And finally,

Hope these can provide a bit of inspiration!

~Gunny

jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Monday, March 29, 2010 - 04:22 AM UTC
Maybe this is of some help and maybe not but if you can lay your hands on the American Documentary "Victory at Sea", I know that the segment on Operation Husky has plenty of footage of a US Destroyer struggling through quite heavy seas.

John
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 - 06:32 AM UTC
If you can go to the local library or buy the book "Pearl Harbor: The Way It Was" by Goldstein and Dillon, you will see photos of the Japanese task force plowing through high seas on its way to Hawaii, including destroyers.

--Karl
 _GOTOTOP