_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
MSW Scuttlebutt
04/28/10
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 - 01:26 AM UTC

Welcome to MSW’s Scuttlebutt! Here’s the news for the day.

WMG & Thales Teaming Agreement Signed
Source: Washington Marine Group

Washington Marine Group (WMG) is pleased to announce the signing of a Teaming Agreement with Thales Canada forming a strategic alliance to provide the Government of Canada a single solution for the future build and in service support of the Arctic Offshore Patrol Ships (AOPS).

The AOPS program is worth over C$2 billion dollars, delivering 6 ice breaking patrol vessels to the Canadian Navy, as part of the Federal Government’s National Shipbuilding Procurement Strategy (NSPS). It will provide 700 to 800 skilled jobs to BC shipbuilders and 40 to 60 high technology jobs, in Ontario.

WMG is a proud and valued supplier meeting the needs of the Canadian Navy for over 50 years. WMG is currently supplying in service support for the Canadian submarine fleet, Mid Life extension for Canadian Patrol Frigates, and building Motorized Lifeboats for the Canadian Coast Guard. Previously, WMG has built ORCA training vessels, Coast Guard Motorized Lifeboats, RCMP Patrol vessels, and buoy tenders and ice breakers for the Canadian Coast Guard.

Thales has more than fifty years experience in delivering equipment, systems and services to naval forces. Thales offers proven expertise with tangible benefits for client navies around the world.

Leveraging an in-depth understanding of evolving naval and maritime environments, Thales supports naval missions across the seven seas and has delivered trusted and deployed solutions to over 50 Navies, including Canada.

“The award of a project of this magnitude would not only revitalize the BC shipbuilding industry, but also provide for significant future investment in facilities, processes and people,” said Jonathan Whitworth, WMG CEO. “Thales Canada is an integral member of the team and brings significant expertise in the field of electronic systems.”

Thales Canada President and CEO, Paul Kahn, says that his company is very pleased to partner with such a strong and capable shipyard in pursuit of the Navy’s AOPS program. “We have had a strong relationship with the Canadian Navy since 1967, and our experience working with large and small Navies around the world will provide WMG with tailored, field proven systems that will ensure AOPS receives a world class solution.”

The AOPS is one of the initial programs forming part of the $40 billion Federal Government’s NSPS.

WMG’s goal is to form a Centre of Excellence to supply programs to meet the needs of the NSPS.

Rolls-Royce Completes First Propeller and Gas Turbine for Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carrier Program
Source: Rolls-Royce

Rolls-Royce, the global power systems company, has completed two significant milestones for the Royal Navy’s new aircraft carriers, Queen Elizabeth and Prince of Wales, with completion of the first propeller and the successful testing of the vessels’ first MT30 gas turbine.

The propeller, measuring almost seven meters in diameter and weighing 33 tonnes, has completed acceptance tests at the Rolls-Royce facility in Kristinehamn, Sweden.

The Kamewa Adjustable Bolted Propeller is manufactured from nickel aluminum bronze and features five blades mounted on a central hub – there will be two on each of the aircraft carriers.

Rolls-Royce is also supplying shaft lines which will link each of the vessels’ two propellers with the power source. Each propeller will deliver around 50,000 horse-power – the highest power Kamewa propeller ever developed by Rolls-Royce.

The first of four MT30s for the two 65,000 tonne vessels also passed a program of stringent tests and certification at the Rolls-Royce Marine test facility, in Bristol, where the gas turbine was operated across a range of load conditions up to the maximum power output of 36MW.

Rolls-Royce is part of a ‘sub-alliance’ team comprising Thales, Converteam and L-3 and has overall responsibility for delivery of the entire power and propulsion system.

Richard Dingley, Rolls-Royce Director Programs - Naval said: “The delivery of these two major components is a significant achievement for everyone involved in the QE Class program. The gas turbines will, through an innovative electrical system, provide the power needed to turn the propellers and drive these huge vessels through the water at speeds of up to 25 knots.

“We are extremely proud to be involved in the development of these vessels, working alongside our many partners in the Aircraft Carrier Alliance to supply mission-critical technology and systems.”

Tony Graham, head of Capital Ships at the Ministry of Defense, visited the Bristol test facility and gas turbine build line recently to see progress on the project. He said: “The heart of the ship is now beating. These engines will breathe life into the steel hull and are another demonstration of the progress being made.”

Matt Pollitt, Rolls-Royce Test Integration and Support Manager and his team carried out the MT30 test. He said: “The gas turbine performed as expected during the tests, which simulated what you would see from the bridge of the ship in a range of different sea conditions.

“We put the engine through rigorous tests including what happens when the ship rapidly demands either large amounts of power or large reductions in power due to propulsion motor trips. The engine coped well with such extreme load characteristics and I’m pleased to say it passed its Lloyd’s certification too.”

The MT30 is the most powerful available gas turbine in the marine market today and on the carriers will form part of an integrated electric propulsion system which includes the giant propellers and propeller shafts as well as rudders, thrust bearings and low-voltage electrical systems.

Marine Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Squadron 1 Deploys to Afghanistan
Source: US Marine Corps

MARINE CORPS AIR GROUND COMBAT CENTER TWENTYNINE PALMS, Calif. --- Children ran throughout Marine Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Squadron 1’s headquarters Tuesday while parents, spouses and friends stood with their Marines and sailors, spending as much time as possible with their loved ones before the service members loaded the buses and departed for Afghanistan.

Despite the knowledge of the seven-month deployment to the Helmand Province, morale was high as people laughed, children played in a Jupiter Jump and explored VMU-1’s facilities.

VMU-1’s mission during the deployment will be to provide support to the Marine Air Ground Task Force by using their unmanned aerial vehicles to patrol the sky and report their findings to help service members patrolling the ground know what to expect.

Capt. Dave Lemke, the UAV mission commander for the battalion, said they will be implementing two UAVs, the RQ-7B Shadow and the Scan Eagle, throughout the deployment.

“I know my Marines will perform exceptionally,” said Lemke, a Hales Corners, Wis., native. “We conducted all the required predeployment training necessary, which prepared my Marines for what they are going to experience while in country.”

Cpl. Nicholas Root, a communications technician with VMU-1, said he is excited to go to Afghanistan, but had misgivings when he first heard of their deployment.

“I really didn’t understand how important our mission was until I went to corporals course,” said Root, a Fort Collins, Colo., native. “I met a grunt during the course, and we started talking. He told me about all the times his platoon was saved because a UAV had found an ambush in front of them.

“After I spoke to him, I knew our deployment was necessary. He told me how they always feel better knowing a UAV was backing them,” Root explained.

The mood dimmed as officers called the Marines to the buses. Spouses hugged and kissed their Marines and children grabbed one last piggy-back ride before saying their goodbyes.

“I just want to get over there, do a good job, then turn around and come home to my family,” said Staff Sgt. Travis Zell, the data chief for the communications element of VMU-1, and a Bellefontaine, Ohio native.

VMU-1 is scheduled to return to the Combat Center this winter, and many family members hope it is before the holidays.

Exercise Tiger National Foundation

Today’s website is Exercise Tiger National Foundation. Enjoy.

This Day in U.S. Naval History

1862 - Naval forces capture Forts Jackson and St. Philip, La.
1965 - Dominican Republic intervention began.
1944 - U.S. Tank Landing Ships (LSTs) attacked during Operation Tiger.
1993 - Secretary of Defense memo orders Armed Forces to train and assign women on combat aircraft and most combat ships, but not to ground combat positions.

Photo of the Day

The Amphibious Command costal patrol ship USS Typhoon (PC 5) is underway in the U.S. 5th Fleet area of responsibility.

Gator
 _GOTOTOP