_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
sanding in 1/700 scale?
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Model Shipwrights: 113 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 07:21 AM UTC
Hello!

I have a 1/700 Trumpeter USS Franklin, and I'm trying to fill and sand down some of the seam lines.

What kind of sand paper do you use? Where can I buy it? The smallest stuff I have found at the store is still way too big and rough.

Thanks for any suggestions!

- Steve
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 07:46 AM UTC
I use testors packs of sandpaper for all of my modeling.
They come with 5 different sizes from 150 to 600. it can be found at most hobby shops.

Most of the stuff they carry at hardware stores dosn't go below 250.
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 09:41 AM UTC
Hello Steve,
I use finger nail emery boards. You can get a hundred for about 1-2 dollars and cut them down and attach them to a toothpick or other items for both small and large areas. They have 2 sides, But I do not know what grit they are.
I use them for just about anything from plastic to resin to metal, etc.
HTH,
Cheers,
Bruce
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 10:05 AM UTC
Don't overlook automotive supply stores--they carry very fine grit sandpaper and one pack should last a great many projects.

--Karl
djandj
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 10:40 AM UTC
400 grit paper from Home Depot/Lowes
treadhead1952
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 552 posts
Model Shipwrights: 493 posts
Posted: Friday, April 30, 2010 - 01:08 PM UTC
Hi Steve,

I would have to second Karl's suggestion of Automotive Supply Stores, even Pep Boys and Auto Zone stock at least 600 Grit. In stores that cater to Auto Body and Paint shops will often stock up to 1200 Grit. Just look for the ones that have a paint shaker and selection of other Auto Paint Supplies. While you are there you can also score their cheapest grade of Lacquer Thinner in a Gallon size that will last you for months of Air Brush cleaning sparing you of resorting to the $7 a pop 1/2 pint cans of Universal Enamel Thinner. That Lacquer Thinner will cut any enamel or lacquer paints far better and clean out that air brush like it was brand new. Just be aware that you need to use it in a well ventilated area or a spray booth or one of the air brush cleaner units that captures the resulting spray and funnels it into a closed container 'cause it will be stinkin' up the house like it was an auto body spray booth. (Never antagonize the significant other needlessly lest you find yourself with a "Honey Do List" long enough to keep you away from the modeling bench for weeks at a time.)
reigels
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 4 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 04:39 AM UTC
I’d recommend looking for dark grey colored wet/dry sand paper in 320, 400 and 600 grit, which should be available as mentioned above at any auto parts store, or hardware store. You may be able to find a variety pack with several grits. A “real” hardware store (not a home improvement box store) will likely sell you individual sheets, rather than 5 sheet packs, if you prefer. As you’ve probably seen, the larger grit number, the finer the paper.

A few points on sanding:

Wet/dry sand paper is meant to be used with a little water which eliminates any dust, and clogging of the paper and provides lubrication as you sand to ensure a fine finish. Whatever you sand off will be mixed into the water to make a slurry, so it’s a bit of a mess, but don’t be afraid to get wet. Keep an old kitchen towel handy to wipe up and a small bowl of water and re-wet the paper often. Add a drop of dish soap to the water and the suds will help clear the slurry.

Sandpaper (like knife blades) are best thought of as consumable supplies and should be discarded when they have been used past their prime. Sand paper is cheap and not really worth fussing over when it has been used. I like to cut a sheet into 2” x 3” squares, which means a dozen or so smaller shapes to work with from each sheet.

If you’re sanding something flat (like the side of a hull), use a bit of wood or something similar as a sanding block. A small 1” x ¼” x 5” piece is very useful for me. You can wrap the sand paper around old files, pair brush handles, chop sticks, what-have-you to get into smaller areas.

You can also make your own sanding pads with fine sand paper glued to the back of a styrofoam meat tray (from the grocery store). Cut off the curved edge of the tray and glue to some sand paper with a thin coat of epoxy. Put a book on to overnight to keep flat and then cut into smaller squares with an x-acto and a straight edge. Very handy.

HTH –

Scott
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 01, 2010 - 08:00 AM UTC
Another source is beauty supply stores, which have sanding sticks in all different grits and shapes. Works for weirding the wife out at least once too!
steve-o
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 545 posts
Model Shipwrights: 113 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 02:34 AM UTC
haha, thanks guys!

I have been using some of your suggestions! (I find that the odorless thinner is the acceptable one in the house). It's so easy, that now I am filling and sanding EVERYTHING. Hopefully it'll look good once it's painted.

Thanks so much!

- Steve
 _GOTOTOP