These topics dealing with buidling bases and water effects are grouped together
Diorama texture paint
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 01:25 AM UTC
Hello there, I never thought I'd spend just under a tenner for 100ml of paint, a bit of a poor deal. Tamiya diorama texture paint, a new product that I've seen for sale on ebay, and oddly enough I've just come back from my local model shop where I've brought ''soil effect'' which is suppose to be dark earth, its actually slightly dark brown, there was a green (way to bright) where tiny pieces will stand up once dry, but with the thought of paying, then having to paint over the bright green grass effect, I picked the soil.
Its water based and features a paste-like texture with ceramic particles, well what do I think of it ? Its actually damn good, applying this in different ways can give you many different surfaces from the same pot, lightly applied its almost the same as brown paint with tiny pieces, alomst dust like particules, a road or even surrounding a base of a 1-700 building. Using a thicker layer has the result of looking like built up debris but over a wide surface and without the bother, simply thickly brush it on.
This can also be roughly shaped if used thick enough, and you catch it before it has time to go off (set).
If I can, I'll try and find their web-site showing the colours and effect they have, but I can only try.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mSgIzU7ibU

【 Recreating Asphalt Surfaces 】  This water-based paint features a paste-like texture and is useful for recreating asphalt surfaces. The pavement effect has colored ceramic particles and can be formed before it dries. Contains enough paint to cover B4-sized area (2 coats). ※Click to see the chart for paint combinations.

【 How to Use 】

Create a diorama base with Styroform or wood.
Apply paint using spatula.
After paint has dried, apply a layer.

After paint has dried, place your model.
Sorry about this, there were suppose to be pictures and stuff, the above texture for sidewalk, pavement runway, has to be a first choice for a diorama laying down a good tarmac/ashpalt surface.
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 05, 2010 - 02:55 AM UTC
hi alec - I did buy 2-3 of those Tamiya texture paints, seems like they 'work".. I have yet to fully use them (ie, apply to a large surface like a base). The type of product that gives you an effect that the individual modeller could also replicate on its own, but saves you time and trial/error agravation.
 _GOTOTOP