_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Cruisers
Topics covering cruisers both past and present.
USS Olympia
jowady
KitMaker: 1,027 posts
Model Shipwrights: 51 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 02:26 PM UTC
I generally build armor and aircraft, but way back when I built a lot of ships, all types. I'd like to get back into it, and, in light of the "iffy" future facing this great ship I was wondering if anyone makes a good kit of her, in any scale or medium.

TIA,

John
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 02:21 AM UTC
Hello John, Revell makes a plastic kit of the Olympia that builds up nicely with a little TLC. It is an old kit and it is box scale, but it may be the only game in town. B&D Barrels has a set of brass barrels available for it.There was a kit produced by PYRO way back in the Dark Ages ( the 60's), but I think it is lost to the ages. I have never seen it re-released. I remember they molded it in white and released it as the Olympia and they molded it in gray and released it as the USS Maine, even though the two ships look nothing alike! Al
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 04:20 AM UTC

Combrig also makes a very nice resin kit in 1/700.

I do not mean to jump into the subject, but take a look at the following email about the Olympia.
=============================================================

Hello Friends,
It’s time for another quick update and we have some exciting news to pass along. First and foremost we want to let everyone know we are now able to accept monetary contributions and offer tax deductable payment vouchers for donations made to Friends of the Cruiser Olympia. Secondly, we finally got an opportunity to meet with the board of directors of the Independence Seaport Museum and introduce ourselves as well as make known to them our intentions.

Even though the meeting with ISM wasn’t as productive as we anticipated, expectations have been set for us to meet before ISM will entrust us stewardship of Olympia. The number one priority for us is to raise 10 million dollars by 12/31/10. The second priority is taking over as caretaker of Cruiser Olympia 1-2-11.

We are asking our family and friends to help in initiating our fund raising efforts. This is a critical time for Olympia, we need for you to write your congressman or congresswoman, write your senators, contact your family, your friends, your coworkers, and help us spread the word. Above all we need donations, without donations Olympia’s fate is all but sealed in becoming that of an artificial reef.

If you would like to make a contribution, or volunteer your time or services, please go to www.fotco.org and feel free to help us out. Again we at Friends of the Cruiser Olympia would like to thank each and everyone of you for your continued support.

Regards
President
Capt Harry Burkhardt
Friends of the Cruiser Olympia

jowady
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 04:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Combrig also makes a very nice resin kit in 1/700.

I do not mean to jump into the subject, but take a look at the following email about the Olympia.

Hello Friends,
It’s time for another quick update and we have some exciting news to pass along. First and foremost we want to let everyone know we are now able to accept monetary contributions and offer tax deductable payment vouchers for donations made to Friends of the Cruiser Olympia. Secondly, we finally got an opportunity to meet with the board of directors of the Independence Seaport Museum and introduce ourselves as well as make known to them our intentions.

Even though the meeting with ISM wasn’t as productive as we anticipated, expectations have been set for us to meet before ISM will entrust us stewardship of Olympia. The number one priority for us is to raise 10 million dollars by 12/31/10. The second priority is taking over as caretaker of Cruiser Olympia 1-2-11.

We are asking our family and friends to help in initiating our fund raising efforts. This is a critical time for Olympia, we need for you to write your congressman or congresswoman, write your senators, contact your family, your friends, your coworkers, and help us spread the word. Above all we need donations, without donations Olympia’s fate is all but sealed in becoming that of an artificial reef.

If you would like to make a contribution, or volunteer your time or services, please go to www.fotco.org and feel free to help us out. Again we at Friends of the Cruiser Olympia would like to thank each and everyone of you for your continued support.

Regards
President
Capt Harry Burkhardt

This is what I meant when I said "iffy future" for this great ship. Thanks for posting this for me.

John

jowady
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 05:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hello John, Revell makes a plastic kit of the Olympia that builds up nicely with a little TLC. It is an old kit and it is box scale, but it may be the only game in town. B&D Barrels has a set of brass barrels available for it.There was a kit produced by PYRO way back in the Dark Ages ( the 60's), but I think it is lost to the ages. I have never seen it re-released. I remember they molded it in white and released it as the Olympia and they molded it in gray and released it as the USS Maine, even though the two ships look nothing alike! Al

Hi Al,

Thanks for this, my brother had the Revell which he (well, my Dad) bought on board the Olympia when we were on our way to the Azores back in 1965. Glad to see that there are a few upgrades to it! I actually had the Pyro Maine, bought in the Azores, BX Annex believe it or not, in a quonset hut over by the Marine presence on the island! They did include sponsons (? maybe barbette halfs?) to mount the turrets differently from the Olympia, but that was the only nod that I can remember to them being completely different. That would have been 66 or so, and I really can't remember, but there wasn't all that much to do at Lajes AFB when it was raining (and it was ALWAYS raining) so we built just about anything we could get our hands on. I had hoped that someone might make one in resin, maybe scratch-building one will be the way to go!

Thanks,

John
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,244 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 01:58 AM UTC
Hello John, Glad I could help you out. I remember PYRO releasing the Maine a 2nd time in a new box with an accurate picture of the ship. I always wondered if they changed the moldel or just changed the box art. From your description I guess they just added a couple of parts to the original kit. Al
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 04:51 AM UTC
http://www.bluejacketinc.com/kits/ussolympia.html

Al Ross

DanielChavez
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 87 posts
Model Shipwrights: 78 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 10:43 AM UTC
Hi John,

Iron Shipwrights (ISW) produces a 1/350 USS Olympia for about $110. If you go to their website, you can see the model and read a build-up by Bob Santos. A photo-etch set is included with the kit and they replace any parts for free without question! I've been working on a few of their models and can honestly say I have never seen nor heard of better customer service!

Hope this helps!

Daniel Chavez
 _GOTOTOP