_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
PHOTOS: MODEL
IJN Light Cruiser Yubari
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 - 10:49 PM UTC
Alec Cap (bigal07) shares a new diorama scene with us, with a spotlight on IJN Yubari, in this "On Display" Feature!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
djandj
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 44 posts
Model Shipwrights: 34 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 07:19 AM UTC
Alec: I have watched as your skills have tremendously improved. The rigging on your ships is smaller and much more in scale. The Pe is looking great and the weathering is looking much more realistic. Don't be too hard on yourself. Things are comming along nicely.

RE: the ocean - the easiest thing to do for acrylic ocean effects is to do exactly what you did - paint the plexiglass or the board underneath and put a few coats of acrylic above that. Instead of using a knife or shaping tool like you did, try getting a sea sponge, wetting it, and dabbing in the acrylic to get gentle water effects - especially good for harbor scenes like this. (I used it with my "Troubled anchorage" dio.) Then, set the ship directly into the wet gel. It will sceure the ship and make it part of the dio.

Happly modeling!

David
Sammuel
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Model Shipwrights: 95 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 09:32 AM UTC
Alec;

Your work is OUTSTANDING!!! Keep it up. I have seen many posts of your projects. Between work, family, friends and hobby, you must get about one hour of sleep per night. I like you am addicted to models. Keep it up.

Sam
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 12, 2010 - 06:18 PM UTC
Thank you both for those kind words, I do hope I can continue to build. Thank you again.
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 13, 2010 - 12:50 AM UTC
great work Al! one of your best so far, keep up the good work and thanks for sharing!
 _GOTOTOP