_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
MSW Scuttlebutt
05/20/10
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 20, 2010 - 01:16 AM UTC

Welcome to MSW’s Scuttlebutt! Here’s the news for the day.

USS Constitution Sailors Give Caps for Kids
Source: US Navy

SPOKANE, Wash. (NNS) -- USS Constitution Sailors gave Navy ball caps to children during Caps for Kids visits at Sacred Heart and Shriners Hospitals in Spokane, Wash., May 10.

Command Master Chief (SW/SS/AW) David Twiford, Aircrew Survival Equipmentman 2nd Class (AW/SW) Jason Keith, Master-at-Arms 2nd Class (SW) Dana Loney, Airman Trina Pardo and Seaman Mark Gonzales participated in the Navy Office of Community Outreach-managed visits as part of Spokane Navy Week, May 10-15. 

"It always feels very good to give like this," said Loney. "I've done Caps for Kids visits before, and it never fails to make you appreciate the work we're doing and the things we should not take for granted."

Constitution's Sailors gave 12 ball caps in total and words of encouragement to children they visited.

"I just wanted them to know that I may not understand exactly what they're going through, but I still hope they get better, and I hope by us being here today, they know we do care about them," said Gonzales.

Caps for Kids became a national outreach effort in 2000. Since then, more than 300 commands and thousands of Sailors have donated ball caps to more than 500 hospitals across the U.S. Most of the children who were given ball caps are dealing with long-term or lifelong health issues.

"It was one of the big points of my day, because when lying in a hospital, I can't do much," said Nicholas Nelson, 15. "And I look up to the people who do this, because they are fighting for our freedoms."

Spokane is one of 20 Navy Weeks planned across America for 2010. Navy Weeks show Americans the investment they have made in their Navy and increase awareness in cities that do not have a significant Navy presence.

Constitution's Sailors participate in more than 50 volunteer projects annually. The ship is located in the Charlestown Navy Yard in Boston. Constitution is the world's oldest commissioned warship afloat and welcomes more than 500,000 visitors a year.

Raytheon's Standard Missile-6 Program Begins Sea-Based Flight Testing
Source: Raytheon

WASHINGTON --- Raytheon Company's Standard Missile-6 begins sea-based flight testing this month, paving the way for initial operational capability (IOC) in 2011.

"With its over-the-horizon protection, SM-6 increases the surface Navy's battlespace against air and cruise missile threats and offers protection for coalition forces ashore," said Frank Wyatt, Raytheon's vice president of Air and Missile Defense Systems product line. "These sea-based flight tests clear the way for Raytheon to deliver a critical capability to the warfighter by 2011."

SM-6 takes full advantage of the legacy Standard Missile airframe and propulsion elements while incorporating advanced signal processing and guidance control capabilities of Raytheon's Advanced Medium-Range Air-to-Air Missile. The merger of two proven technologies enables SM-6 to employ both active and semiactive modes.

"Since Raytheon began SM-6 development five years ago, the on-time and on-budget program has completed five successful land-based flight tests and moved to low rate initial production," said Wyatt. "With the hard work of Raytheon's employees, our dedicated suppliers and our U.S. Navy customer, we are on track to achieve the IOC milestone in 2011."

DOD Certifies F/A-18 Multi-year Procurement
Source: US Department of Defense

Today, the undersecretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology and Logistics certified to Congress that the proposed F/A-18 multiyear procurement met statutory requirements, including substantial savings, for 124 F/A-18E/F and EA-18G aircraft.

The proposed agreement will run for four years, from fiscal 2010 through 2013.

Now that the Department of Defense has certified the multiyear procurement request, the Department of the Navy will continue to work with Congress to gain necessary legislative authorities required before the Navy may enter into a multiyear contract.

With this multiyear procurement, the Navy Department intends to acquire the remaining program of record for the 515 F/A-18E/F Super Hornets and 114 EA-18G Growlers.

The Navy’s fiscal 2011 budget request, sent to Congress Feb. 1, includes $1.9 billion to buy 22 Super Hornets and $1.1 billion for 12 Growlers. In fiscal 2012, the Navy plans to buy 24 more Growlers and one Super Hornet, with 25 more Super Hornets in fiscal 2013.

The Department of the Navy is committed to reducing acquisition costs in delivering capability to the warfighter.

Captain Stephen Decatur

Today’s website is history of Captain Stephen Decatur. Enjoy.

This Day in U.S. Naval History

1801 - Four warships sent to Mediterranean to protect American commerce.
1815 - Commodore Stephen Decatur (Frigate Guerriere) sails with 10 ships to suppress Mediterranean pirate raids on U.S. shipping.
1844 - USS Constitution sails from New York on 'round-the-world cruise.
1943 - Establishment of 10th Fleet in Washington, D.C., under command of Adm. King, to coordinate U.S. antisubmarine operations in Atlantic.

Photo of the Day

Anti-submarine warfare destroyer Hiei (DD 142).

Gator
 _GOTOTOP