These topics dealing with buidling bases and water effects are grouped together
HMCS Eyebright museum dio
Tankworks
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 24 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 06:07 PM UTC
I made this diorama some time ago and has suffered the ravages of time (20 years or so!) but thanks to some pics taken by the curator the effect is I think visible. It was made by stretching black garbage bag over crumpled paper and then covering with clear silicone caulk with white silicone for 'foam' effects. The only drawback is DUST! This model has had no cover and needs cleaning badly, silicone just latches onto dust.

The 'water' was quite darker when when 'new' and the light reflects back through the silicone giving a feeling of depth. Try it. I think that you will like it!
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, May 24, 2010 - 11:28 PM UTC
Snowberry in 1-72 ? Looking good even after all this time, dust is a problem as is sun-light that will fade paint, I guess I am luck in the fact that I never really keep any, or many of my builds long enough to worry about dust, on the small side of things, I've gone over to something called acrylic gel, normally I'd paint the board that will have the gell spread across it, once dry this reflects a lot of light, after its dry, you can also mix (very very small amount) paint with a new batch and simply go over here and there, it looks okay, not perfect, but I like the results.
 _GOTOTOP