_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Cruisers
Topics covering cruisers both past and present.
Chokai GMM bridge PE problem
mozartg
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Model Shipwrights: 90 posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 05:37 AM UTC
Y'all: on Aoshima's 1/350 Chokai, the GMM PE bridge windows pieces do not seem to be tall enough to fill the receiving space. The clear plastic window inserts supplied with the kit fit fine, so my assembly is not too far off. My question: given that there is a gap between the three PE window pieces and their 'roofs' (bad lingo, sorry), how have builders here dealt with the situation? Fill and paint, or use a clear in it to simulate additional glazing? I have cut, whittled and shaved on surrounding assembly to reduce the gap as much as possible, but this is only marginally helpful. Okay, thanks, Stephen
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 05:50 AM UTC
In 1/350th it should be possible to fill small gaps with mr. surfacer 500. This is a guess though as you didn't post a photo of the problem.
cheers,
Julian
mozartg
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 93 posts
Model Shipwrights: 90 posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 06:11 AM UTC
Hi Julian: Thank you for this reply. Yes, the gap is fillable, although as it is an "open" gap as opposed to a "closed" gap, something with more surface tension that dries flat and smooth would be preferable, like Elmer's White Glue or similar. Also, since the gap has an unsupported PE edge, a bulky filler that requires sanding would not work. Stephen
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, May 28, 2010 - 08:26 AM UTC
I can't estimate how wide this gap is, have you considered some plastic strip or stretched sprue?
Julian
 _GOTOTOP