_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
Bronco Models 1/350 Ting Yuen
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, May 31, 2010 - 01:21 AM UTC
Crew mate Julian Sallows (Gremlin56) takes a close look at Bronco Models 1/350 scale kit, Ting Yuen, in this MSW Inbox Review!

NICE looking kit!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
Sekas
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 01, 2010 - 03:09 PM UTC
Excellent review and it looks like great value on a very unusual subject. I really really like the way Bronco handled the full hull or waterline question. Building in a waterline plate in that fashion is a very innovative way of giving everybody what they want!!! No guesswork as to where to make the hull cut and the plate is already there! This is a lesson (ex-Tamiya) that should be applied to all those expensive IJN kits that lack this feature.

Well Done!

John
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 02, 2010 - 01:01 AM UTC
nice review, thanks for posting!
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 - 05:49 AM UTC
Yes excellent review and I am looking forward to my model, I feel slightly more lucky then most because I don't lose sleep over inaccuracies that's to say, not to many inaccuracies lol, its also good to remember something like this is a new model on the market and in plastic, something like this would normally be in 1-700 and resin, Bronco have released 2 of these 1800's battleships and I honestly hope there are more (better) on the horizon.
Almost forgot to add, I understand that the main turret guns can be built with roof or open showing the inside of the turret.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, June 04, 2010 - 06:19 AM UTC
I forgot to mention that in my review Alec; yes, the turret roof can be left off but you will need to do a lot of scratchbuilding to add detail to the "inards".
Cheers, Julian.
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 10:43 PM UTC
Great looking kit, the waterline vs full hull solution is very innovative, top marks to Bronco for coming up with a solution that makes it easy for me as a waterline builder without causing problems for the full hull brigade.

As a package it has the potential to be a good seller

I shall be up for one of those. Hope to see more interesting transitional ships from these guys

Si
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 26, 2010 - 08:34 PM UTC
By now most people on the site would have realised I have now built this model and, well the bow paint job isn't the best in the world, but the rest I'd like to believe is quite nice, this a very good build, the mast, both of them build away and attach as completed, and the PE should have contained ratlines as the 1-350/400 ratline kit (the tallest one) is still 15mm short. Fingers crossed that Bronco will produce cruisers in 1-350 and maybe 1-700 in this time zone.
 _GOTOTOP