_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
LHD 4 USS Boxer
Sammuel
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 200 posts
Model Shipwrights: 95 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 05:44 AM UTC
Group,

I'm seeking a 1/700 or 1/350, or any scale LHD 4 USS Boxer. I have a USMC Vet co-worker who serverd on her and I would like to build it for him as a gift for an up coming promotion he will be getting.

He has very found memories of serving with her and I know it would mean the world to him if I could build and display her for him. He always makes comments about my builds and gives me great praise for the somewhat skills I have.

If you guys could point me in the right direction, that would be great. I will wait to see what info I get from you guys before I go to my local HS guy. I'm sure I could have him order one, but if I could do it myself and cut the middle guy out, that would be great.

Keep me posted.

Sam
grayghost666
KitMaker: 2,458 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,423 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 10:32 AM UTC
Hello Sammuel,
Dragon makes it in 1/700 scale. Not a bad kit it includes PE, Helios, and some planes if you want to make it for the Korean war instead of the LPH. You also can make it as a full hull or waterline.
HTH,
Cheers,
Bruce
Sammuel
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 11:34 AM UTC
Thanks for the info. Is this the the LHD 4 version of the Boxer?

Sam
Sammuel
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 05, 2010 - 11:47 AM UTC
I just checked it out at Dragon online. I'm looking for the modern LHD-4 with the well deck for landing craft (LCAC).

Thanks

Sam
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Monday, June 07, 2010 - 02:31 AM UTC
So, why not the Gallery Models (Revell Germany in Europe) USS Wasp LHD-1 model in 1/350? If it isn't identical to LHD-4 it's pretty close (my understanding is that LHD-9 USS Makin Island is the only one that looks significantly different from Wasp). It comes with a well deck, vehicles, watercraft and aircraft. I got mine from Greatmodels.com for $180.00. I'm not particularly good at models, but I'm very satisfied with my Wasp - not quite a box-shaker but a lot more fun to build than any other ship so far.
bravozulu
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 124 posts
Model Shipwrights: 123 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 10:36 AM UTC
AND RAY AT STILL MOTIONS PHOTOGRAPHICS stocks a huge file disk of pictures of all 8 ships of the class, exterior and interior well deck spaces, fully downloadable in jpeg format...
truly MORE pictures on ONE DISC than found in ANY one book.

Order from WHITE ENSIGN MODELS
FLEETNET
THE FLOATING DRYDOCK
or direct at [email protected]
Ray in Canada
LonCray
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 348 posts
Model Shipwrights: 33 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 02:22 AM UTC
Oh, yes, I purchased Ray's Wasp-class CD from White Ensign Models and it's absolutely gorgeous (and it's how I know Makin Island is significantly different from her sisters). In fact, it's so nice that it makes me want to drop another $180 on a second 1/350 Wasp just so I can convert it into one of her sisters, once the aftermarket starts putting out decal sets.
Sammuel
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 09, 2010 - 04:35 PM UTC
The Wasp should work. The price is what is killing me. I might have to go with a 1/700 scale.

Thanks for the info guys.

Sam
 _GOTOTOP