_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Peter Van Burens LHD Essex
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Model Shipwrights: 40 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 - 03:01 PM UTC
G'day. Well what can i say, that ship has inspired me so much, the amount of detail in it is outstanding, and those people! i mean thats 1:700 scale! Peter, i hope you read this, im sure you will if you read the title of ths post but can you tell me, how you made those people, how you made the skids for the super cobra's and how you painted it all up so fine, and put all those extra little details on the ship most importantly the people though, i mean, they have arms and legs! i built a 1:700 shanghai dragon USS Peleliu, is the essex in the same class as this carrier? But my kit, well lets just say i built it a long time ago ( in other words its a disgrace) well, hope you read this soon, cheers and well done
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
Model Shipwrights: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 12:34 AM UTC
Not Peter, but I can answer some of your questions. The figures are Gold Medal Models 1/700 photo-etch, and believe me they are tiny. The landing skids are also photo-etch from the Gold Medal Models Wasp class set. The Essex is the second of the Wasp class LHD while the Peleliu is the fifth of the Tarawa class LHA.

Also, you can find a lot more of Peter's work on Modelwarships.com.
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Thursday, August 07, 2003 - 05:48 PM UTC
Thanks, who makes all these gold etched things, got a url? do you know who makes the essex by the way? cheers
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 12:07 AM UTC
Gold Medal Models

The Wasp is made by Revell of Germany.
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, August 08, 2003 - 03:19 PM UTC
Thanks NimitzFan, which is better quality, the 1:700 Shanghai Dragon LHA Taraw class kits, or the Revell 1:700 Assault carrier U.S.S.Wasp-Class? could i order the Revell one here in Australia? we get Revell so i should be able to right? cheers
NimitzFan
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, August 11, 2003 - 01:03 AM UTC
I would say they are both of good quality as far as the ships go. The aircraft for the Wasp are bad, so I would put it a notch below the Dragon releases. The one to watch for is the 1/700 Revell Assault carrier. It is an older (1970's issue) Tarawa and Saipan. They are not up to the same standards as the Revell Wasp and DML/Dragon Tarawa's.
 _GOTOTOP