_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
First ship model Revell 1/72 S-100 Schnellb
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 371 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2010 - 11:58 AM UTC
I've never made a ship model before, aircraft and figures being my usual thing, but a friend of mine has shifted overseas and gave me a box of modelling stuff he had out in his shed. Amongst a fairly large collection of half started junk was an untouched Revell 1/72 S-100 Schnellboot, complete with parts bagged except for the acetate window sheet which seems to be missing.

Now I spent yesterday scouring the net for reviews, build articles and details on aftermarket sets. It would appear there is rather a lot available. I am looking for something to enhance the kit, rather than replace half the kit with PE.

I've narrowed it down to two possible sets:

Eduard detail set 53009

The more basic of the Griffon sets: Griffon N72001 .

Has anyone here experience with using either of these two sets?

And yes, I did look at the Griffon Premium edition set, and was tempted due to the lovely looking torpedoes, but decided I wouldn't use half the brass, especially as large portions of the deck structure need to be built from it and that's beyond the scope of what I want to do, and the price I want to pay! This amazing build here:S-100 Built on Model Armour Forum shows how fiddly the Griffon set can be.

On the one hand I favour the Eduard set because it meets my needs to merely supplement the kit's details, on the other hand the Griffon set comes with the turned gun barrels which I am rather keen on. I had considered buying the eduard set and the Griffon Armament set, but this is about the same price as the Griffon set I'm looking at which includes the armament set.

So any advice or tales of using either of these sets would be greatly appreciated.
Harry_at_BFM
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 594 posts
Model Shipwrights: 556 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2010 - 12:48 PM UTC
Hi,

IMHO, The Griffon sets are just Superb!
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2010 - 12:59 PM UTC
Gday Phil

Great to see yet another New Zealand based modeller here.

You have picked a great subject fora build.

As far as PE sets I quess its really about how far do you really want to go with your model.

Griffon do offer basic and ultimate sets.

Judging by the reviews and Harry's advice I reckon a Griffon set will be the way to go.

I am certainly considering it myself with my many Revell S100's to build.

Cheers

Sean
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 06, 2010 - 01:07 PM UTC
Ahoy, Phil, A duo welcome, mate, to both Model Shipwrights AND to ship modeling!

I'm with Harry on this one, the Grif set is truly a wonder, (and the Ed set isn't bad either!) but not for the faint of heart...if you have a bit of PE prowess though they are well worth the money and effort, mate...regardless which way you go, please keep us posted on your build!

Cheers,
~Gunny
TGarthConnelly
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 875 posts
Model Shipwrights: 872 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 02:09 AM UTC
The WEM fret isn't bad either sir. Although I've never seen the one from Griffon. Can anyone supply me with a description and photos of it?
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 - 07:58 AM UTC
This is the one I am considering:
http://www.griffonmodel.com/product_view.asp?id=104&classid=77

There is another even larger set as well:
http://www.griffonmodel.com/product_view.asp?id=113&classid=69

The second has lovely turned Torpedoes, but it also has a huge amount of brass that is well beyond my capabilities or inclination!
nzgunnie
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
Posted: Friday, June 11, 2010 - 04:43 PM UTC
I've found the Griffon set above on eBay for US$38 plus a bit for shipping, so I've got that on the way.

Have to wait and see what it's like.
 _GOTOTOP