_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
Fujimi IJN Tone Leyte Gulf 1944
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, June 14, 2010 - 11:35 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates!!!

Join me for an in-box review of Fujimi''s IJN Heavy Cruiser Tone Leyte Gulf 1944 in 1/700 scale.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, August 02, 2010 - 02:59 AM UTC
I honestly enjoy building both heavy and light IJN cruisers, I spend much of my time hunting around on ebay for a bargain, many to be had, and sadly there's points also to look out for, ''new'' doesn't reflect in the model as being new, just the fact that its never been open or out of the bag, I brought such a ''new'' heavy cruiser and like you've discribed was in fact 20 + years old, now I look for ''new tooling'' which I still haven't found lol.
The review is really useful, and I normally look for details on the structure and hull, the more detail like you said, the less PE required,
pagodaphile
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Model Shipwrights: 46 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 05:22 PM UTC
As the callsign would suggest, I also enjoy the big IJN ships. One thing that has always disappointed me with the earlier Tone and Chikuma kits is the lack of detail in the aircraft trolleys at the stern. A major oversight in my oppinion as these ships had a very interesting arrangement, second only to Mogami in their complexity.
On the 1/1 scale ships there was a descending trestle-like structure, leading from the catapult deck down to the stern. As I have read in this review, it looks like we are still in the days of solid catapults and cranes with this kit, which suggests that the trolley is also still molded as a solid ramp. Can anyone confirm this ?
potchip
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 85 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 05:48 PM UTC
If I read your question correctly, then yes the ramp is improved in the new tool. (it's on sprue O in the review, but the picture only showed the top of the ramp, but not the bottom which isn ot moulded solid) The support underneat though would still benefit from PE replacement as they aren ot quite to scale. Aircraft trolleys and catapults/cranes are moulded solid. Given the abundance and low price of replacement PE for such common items though, I don't see manufacturer would want to invest new moulds on these any time soon.

Since Fujimi is now selling PE sets following each kit release, all the more reason not to do something 'good enough' when you are selling an upgrade for it!

Nor do I think given the effort required to upgrade fittings in plastic, IF such items are released the price will be anywhere near economical. Just look at the fine molds nanodread sets: They occupy a niche in parts that's not easily replacable with PE (eg search lights), or a degree of difficulty exists in assembly of said PE (eg AA guns and davits), but they don't come cheap.

pagodaphile
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Model Shipwrights: 46 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 15, 2010 - 06:52 PM UTC
Thanks Jim for the info ! I was unaware of a Fujimi PE release that was Tone class specific. (I assume that the "rollercoaster ramp" is addressed in that set.)

Not knowing of the available PE, I had been contemplating the sacrifice of a few catapults to get the truss work materials. It's gratifying to also hear that Fujimi left off that solid molded on ramp, less cutting and filling.
Dr_Who2
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 90 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 02, 2010 - 02:32 PM UTC
First off, thank you so much for the review which I enjoyed reading!
It is sad that Tone did not receive that much attention as the Kongo or Yamato.
For reasons of historical significance - at least in regard to the Japanese Navy and there specially regarding Midway- the Tone should be manufactured in a 1/350 injected version.
Any manufacturer reading along?!
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 05, 2011 - 07:07 AM UTC
Thank you for your time in viewing this model. The first thing I thought of as the pages were clicking by, this could have been better, it seemed that someone was intent on producing a darn good plastic model then got distracted half way through and simply lost the heart to continue. The asking price I can only guess the top end of £30.00.
I honestly enjoy building the IJN light and heavy cruisers, I've brought what I thought were new tooled kits only to find out the box art was new, the model inside as old as me (old and feeling bloody old after a good old drink up) but I honestly expected something better, while some pieces look good, should there really be an excuse for mould lines and flash on a new kit ?
 _GOTOTOP