_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
PHOTOS: MODEL
USS Fletcher DD-445
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 01:06 PM UTC
MSW crew-mate Alec Cap (bigal07) shares a gallery of images of his build of Tamiya Models, 1/350 scale USS Fletcher, in this "On Display" feature!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 2,485 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,157 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 02:57 PM UTC
Beautiful camo paint and I just love the figures... really gives the sense of
dimension.
Well done!
Cheers.
Joe
reef75
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 46 posts
Model Shipwrights: 44 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 17, 2010 - 05:59 PM UTC
A pleasure to flick through the pictures. A really nice build, well done

steve
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Friday, June 18, 2010 - 07:38 AM UTC
A nice model with a challenging camo pattern well-executed. The figures are a nice touch--I wish crew sets were standard in larger scale kits...

--Karl
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 01:26 AM UTC
Thank you all for those kind words, I brought this kit about a year ago thinking the camo was 2 huge decals, not realising you actually have to free hand paint this on port and starboard, so one day feeling brave out came the kit, due to a lot of handling I built and painted the hull first, then gloss varnish the whole lot and applied the decal, once dry a quick spray over with matt varnish, now I can hold onto something that not going to lose paint due to constant picking up and putting down when painting, building, gluing and so on, I dare say it not a system that will suite everyone, I just didn't want to uild this ship then have to deal with that somewhat complex camo design.
Spiff
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 807 posts
Model Shipwrights: 120 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 19, 2010 - 04:49 AM UTC
Nice work Alec! I really like your creative idea on painting and finish the hull first. I have a Fletcher and HMS Renown in the queue and have been studying and analyzing how I would do the camouflage... your method looks like the ticket!
JMartine
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,698 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,514 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 12:49 AM UTC
very nicely done Alec! That ship is not only the most successful WWII destroyer, but one (if not "the") most successful ship plastic kit ever!

If anyone is in need of ship camo masks, check Kenny's web site
Gators Masks & More

I have the mask for the 1:700 Fletcher camo pattern; great tool.
bravozulu
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 124 posts
Model Shipwrights: 123 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 22, 2010 - 06:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

very nicely done Alec! That ship is not only the most successful WWII destroyer, but one (if not "the") most successful ship plastic kit ever!

Actually, the most successfull plastic ship model kit EVER in history, in sales volume alone, and still remains to this day, is the old Revell 1956 mold kit of the ARIZONA. Outsells everything else.

Alec, you are a good prolific builder...quantity is good, however, we should start seeing some marked QUALITY improvements in assembly and paint finish techniques.
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 24, 2010 - 03:23 AM UTC
Well - not quite sure what to say about that Ray, I build them seemingly faster then poor Gunny can post them lol, there are still quite a few in the ''void'' of being published, one or two slightly better then others, I would still like for someone to take me through scratch building a brass mast 1-700 of course.
And as always many thanks for all comments.
sanfranfan
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 41 posts
Model Shipwrights: 36 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 05:34 AM UTC
Nice Fletcher Al. I still have my Dragon Buchanan sitting in the box- I haven't worked up the courage to do the camo scheme just yet so kudos to you for tackling a tough job on the Fletch.

Condolences on the World Cup loss against Germany today- England wuz robbed blind in the 1st half. Ref & Assistants must've had a few pints b-4 going out onto the pitch. Buggered up their eyesight a bit- maybe a decent pair of hobby glasses would've helped them see that the ball was PLAINLY over the line by a good half-mile.
 _GOTOTOP