_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Cruisers
Topics covering cruisers both past and present.
whip antennas ?
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 08:06 AM UTC
Hello there, I have began to notice rather a lot of these tall whip antennas on everything from battle cruisers to aircraft carriers, and while I could easily buy on good old ebay, does anyone know a way to make your own ? I'm looking at the scale 1-700, I've tried setting light to pieces of plastic, and not a lot of good really, also wire, which I'm none to sure about the size of it.
Look forward to your reply.
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 27, 2010 - 11:39 AM UTC
Aye, Mr. Cap,
I've made some very convincing, and quite simple antenna from the parts of your kit that you normally toss when you're done building...yep, good ole sprue...I normally take a small candle, lit of course, and pick a suitable straight piece of sprue (for some reason, Trumpeters sprue pulls the best for me, must be their formulation), hold it between your two hands, and gently roll the sprue between your two thumb and forefingers close to (but not touching) the candle flame.

You'll be able to judge with some practice when the stuff is ready to go, and with a gentle, controlled pull in each direction, you can form some very delicate, thin, and quite convincing antenna (or rigging, for that matter).

Snip off what you need and attach accordingly...with some practice, you will even be able to form a "wind-whipped" antenna for vessels that you wish to portray as in the wind and on the move!

The best part?...it's free!!

And if you screw up, just try another piece...just watch yer fingers around the hot plastic!

Cheers,
~Gunny
 _GOTOTOP