clear silicone
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 - 11:43 PM UTC
Hi all
Just orded the Tamiya 1/700 o class destroyer set and want to place both kits in a water feature.Was looking around for some ideas on making water and alot of the medium gels are a bit costly,so i had an idea on clear silicone sealant the type that come in a tube.Thought i could mix paint colours to it then apply it to the base.what your thoughts on this and has anyone tryed it before?.

example:
http://www.transtools.co.uk/store/index.php?_g=ex&_a=prodImages&productId=5176

Thanks
Karl
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 12:40 AM UTC
Hey Karl,

I've tried the clear silicone and found that I got better results from paintable white latex caulk. It's much easier to work with. Once I have it painted, I usually give it a couple of coats of Future.

Gator
PanzerKarl
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,439 posts
Model Shipwrights: 60 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 07:01 AM UTC
Thanks for your reply kenny.

See i dont want to make the water and then paint over it i would like to mix the paint in the silicone,was thinking a grey/blue colour for north atlantic.Just trying some ideas as iv never tryed anything like this before.

Thanks
Karl
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 01, 2010 - 09:46 AM UTC
I used silicone on my Point Du Hoc diorama, its not that easy to work with, more like thick toffee but this toffee you don't want to breath in, gel can be quite pricy and caulk has many advantages over both of the above, it can be shaped and painted with very little problems, it will also hold down a work piece acting like a glue, depending how thickly you apply it does take time to set, another idea for the brave, build your sea effect from caulk inc your model, paint the surface, and then once completely dry, paint over a layer of gel, or mix in paint with the gel, I used this with my ''By the Seaside'' its a pain but rather liked the end result.
rea00cy
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 47 posts
Model Shipwrights: 44 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 06:46 PM UTC
I've been using silicones in place of much more expensive gels with excellent results for three years now. I've found no trouble to work with this material. Wet a paint brush with water and spread/shape the product at will. So far the stability/durability of my models is fine.
If you are using acrilic or other water-based paints select a silicone made with polar solvents (like formaldehyde, phtalate esters, ethylene glycols, acrilonitrile, just to mention a few) and avoid mineral spirit containing silicones since they are most likely hydrohobic.
If you have any Qs jsut post them.

Happy modeling,

Augusto
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 09:37 PM UTC
Karl, I would suggest that if you are going to use clear silicone you invest about $20.00 in a decent respirator. 3-M makes a good, inexpensive respirator with replaceable cartridges. Silicone, like solvent based paints and some of the other nastier chemicals we work with, like acetone, etc., give off some pretty foul, noxious vapors. Not at all good for your lungs, or anything else for that matter, to breath in on a regular basis, even if you're working in a well ventilated space.
Do yourself a favor and spend a few dollars, or whatever your currency of choice on a decent respirator. Your lungs will thank you.

Bob
 _GOTOTOP