_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
NEWS
Lion Roars Trumpeter Repulse set
Fordboy
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,169 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,597 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 03:29 PM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates

Lion Roar have called by the news desk and given us the low down on their latest release.

Check it out!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!

Sean
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 - 09:43 PM UTC
An interesting set, no doubt, but a bit of a curate's egg it looks to me. (If that is the whole thing)

Some really good stuff in there, the single 4" mounts look excellent, (best I have seen in that scale, so do the crane jibs, the boats, the contol top, the forebridge(In 1/350th they look so much better hollow.). Full set of brass barrels

But no crane rigging, no corrections for the after deck houses, yet sides of the after superstructure deckhouse given overlays, not sure the triple 4" benefit from etched shields, the resin night bouys look overscale.

It really depends on the price for me, prior to seeing this set I hadn't made my mind up between WEM & GMM, with the Master armament set for my Repulse.

With this, and there are parts of it I am really taken with, but, unless there is more to it, I would still end up buying one of the other two to fill in the gaps

Si

CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 05:38 AM UTC
Yes, the lack of royal deckhouses circa 1941 is puzzling, particularly since most modelers would likely depict the Repulse in her wartime rig.

--Karl
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 08, 2010 - 07:07 PM UTC
As far as I know the deck-house correction was considered for a while but left away, as there were no secure scources for the measurement and layout (i.e. an official plan of some sorts) or there was contradictory information. I guess they finally left it away to avoid getting a beating for offering a correction part and someone comes up with a picture of some sort prooving the replacement part to be wrong.
As in the past such incidents have happened which seriously hurt the sales of some products.We can expect that LR won't be taking chances on "Trying their best" or "Approximating" easily in the future. Other makers such as GMM or WEM don't have secure plan material either, but the modellers seem to be much more forgiving towards them for "trying" and "approximating".

Cheers,
Gudio

Dr_Who2
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 90 posts
Model Shipwrights: 89 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2010 - 12:17 PM UTC
For correcting to the configuration as sunk, try Admiralty Model Works set:

http://www.admiraltymodelworks.com/index.php/1/350-Accessories/Repulse-Update-Set/flypage_new.tpl.html
Quincy
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 99 posts
Model Shipwrights: 97 posts
Posted: Friday, July 09, 2010 - 03:41 PM UTC
The Admiralty 1/350 conversion set is $75. A great deal. Why is the 1/700 set at $55 so expensive???

_GOTOTOP