_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
1/350 U-Boats
nitevision92
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
KitMaker: 66 posts
Model Shipwrights: 18 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 04:53 AM UTC
Hi all, taking a break from building 1/35 vehicles and decided on getting something 10 times smaller. Never built a ship before.

I understand that the AFV 1/350 kits are nice, but can the same be said about the Hobby Boss ones? Any other alternative scales I should look at?

Also, what simple scratchbuild ideas to detail the sub would be realistic for such a small scale?

Thanks!
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 31, 2010 - 08:38 AM UTC
While I havn´t built any 1:350 subs yet, the reviews on this site leads me to the conclusion that AFV is the best offering out there.

The Hobbyboss seems to suffer from some inaccuracys and the Flagmann offerings is lacking railing on the wintergarden and photoetch in general.

Cheers/Jan
RedDuster
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 7,078 posts
Model Shipwrights: 6,649 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 03, 2010 - 10:00 PM UTC
I have one of the AFV type VIIC's, it looks good, nice detail, includes etch and can be built waterline or full hull.

The Revell 1/350th u boats look quite good too, cheaper than the AFV club, but not quite, in my opinion to the same level.

Horses for courses really, but i would recommend the AFV kits from personal taste

Si
MartinJQuinn
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 574 posts
Model Shipwrights: 530 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 05:47 AM UTC
I picked up a Hobby Boss Type IXB U-Boat at the hobby store last Saturday. Compare to the AFV club U-boats I have, I found the detail and overall crispness on the AFV models to be better.

Haven't built either yet, so I can't say how they go together.
nitevision92
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 06:18 AM UTC
Thanks for the helpful replies guys!

Are there any extra 1/350 decal sets for alternative U-boat markings such as those for U-552 and U-71? Those I've seen are only for the Revell 1/72 kit.
Precious_rob
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 206 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 06:28 AM UTC
Although I dont know if or any company makes alternate markings for the U-boats., I have built both HobbyBoss and AFVs u-boat kits, and the AFV kits are easily more detailed then the Hobbyboss offerings, however that is not to sell the hobbyboss kits short, they are fairly trouble free in assembly and make good weekend projects. I think my only gripe with AFV series of U-boats to date is that the plastic is a tad on the soft side, and coupled with some very delicate parts and over sized sprue attachment points make damaging the smaller kit parts extremely easy to do.
MrMox
Visit this Community
Aarhus, Denmark
KitMaker: 3,377 posts
Model Shipwrights: 985 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 05, 2010 - 07:02 PM UTC
I think I will have to try some 1:350 subs too, from pure practical reasons I have to downscale from 1:72 ...

Cheers/Jan
nitevision92
Visit this Community
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Posted: Saturday, August 07, 2010 - 01:52 AM UTC
Just got my AFV Club VIIC today- and boy am I impressed!
Wonder if I can get it done in time for the Stand By Torpedoes! campaign...
 _GOTOTOP