_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Anyone built the 1/35 Bronco Seehund, or have
studiocityslicker
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 74 posts
Model Shipwrights: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 01:43 PM UTC
Gents,
Not usually a boat builder, but had to have this kit when I saw it. Started work on it last night, torpedoes are done, hull assembled, nice and easy and goes together quite well.

ONE PROBLEM THOUGH! (story of my life)...I built the torpedoes EXACTLY as shown in the instructions....nowhere do they mention opening in holes in the torpedo body. But magically when you get to the steps where you mount the torpedoes, there are supposed to be 2 holes in the sides where little pins on the launching mechanism, or holding arms, should fit into the torpedoes.

Did I miss something? I looked at the instructions a couple of times when I got home from work, I can't find anyplace that tells me to open any holes. Since I have the warheads still separate, I tried to look inside with a magnifier and bright lights, I can't see any markings for holes to be drilled out from the inside.The plastic is way too thick to "see through" the torpedoes to try and locate the holes (if they're there).

So my question is, if you have one of these kits, unassembled, can you see any places INSIDE the torpedo bodies that indicate a drilling spot? Do YOUR instructions say anything about drilling holes? (that is, WAY before it's too late!)

If you did build your Seehund, and ran into the same problem, how did you fix it? It might seem an easy fix for those who haven't actually tried it, but the holes need to square AND at exactly the right spots where the valves on top of the torpedo will be sitting exactly upright.

Any help, ideas, etc. greatly appreciated,
Michael Smith
Los Angeles
studiocityslicker
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 01:45 PM UTC
Sorry , I guess my header was too long, should read: have you built the Seehund or have one in your stash?
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 01:55 PM UTC
A build review is posted here:
German Seehund XXVIIB/B5 Midget Submarine
Tarok
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 10,889 posts
Model Shipwrights: 79 posts
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 04:50 PM UTC
Here's a build on the MIG Forums:

http://www.migproductionsforums.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8340&sid=255191d0c83cf8713d32e72fba780448
studiocityslicker
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 05:04 PM UTC
Hi Dave,
Thanks for the link. I actually read that before I started building! In his description of the torpedo assembly he talks about careful mating of the halves, aligning of the props, etc. then at the end, when he apparenlty has everything put together, he says "Remember to open up the holes in the torpedoes if you want to mount them on the sub – " Wonder if this happened to him too, maybe I'll drop him a line!
The kit is soooo cool looking I just don't want to mess it up, so hoping someone can maybe measure where the holes are (if they're there) inside the torpedoes so I have a reference point to start drilling.

Thanks again,
Michael
studiocityslicker
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, August 30, 2010 - 05:12 PM UTC
Hi Rudi,
Thanks for the link, but I can't seem to find the build log there, just pics of the vignette with the model built. I put "seehund" in the search box and got nothing.

Any help finding the build log would be appreciated.
Michael
 _GOTOTOP