_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
FEATURE
Building the Heller Chebec
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 06:05 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates!!!

MSW Crewmember Julian Sallows shares with us a special project, building the classic Heller kit of a French sailing vessel Chebec in 1/50 scale.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
Model Shipwrights: 981 posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 07:49 AM UTC
Very nice sailing ship.
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, September 06, 2010 - 06:14 PM UTC
Very nice indeed - thank you for sharing.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 06:45 AM UTC
What an excellent writeup of a beautiful model! I also have a Heller Chebec (and a 1:80 Ertl Xebec) and I must say no other class of sailing vessel conveys a sense of speed than this design. Your work on this challenging (but rewarding) kit is an inspiration to us all.

Regarding the commentary on the cannons, perhaps springing for metal barrels would be better for future projects?

My Chebecs will eventually be rendered along North African lines--someday.

--Karl

Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 08:00 AM UTC
Dave, Alec, thanks for the kind remarks
Karl, the barrels were the least of the problems. Even if I had splurged on metal barrels I would still have had to add the necessary rope work to the gun carriages.
I have the Heller HMS Victory sitting in my stash but the thought of lashing down 100 guns makes me cringe away from the model
cheers,
Julian
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 09:26 AM UTC
Hi Julian!

Working on those old time models can be a grateful project, and for the looks of yours, it certainly was!
I like the overall aspect of the finished model, but with notes on the black wash/raw humber on the painted areas of the hull, drilling the small artillery barrels and weathering the cables and ropes from the main artillery carriages would be a A+++++ model - Perhaps I am being too picky
Congratulations on a wonderful job on a wonderful scarce model - at least seen built!!!!!!!

Cheers,
Rui
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 07, 2010 - 10:17 AM UTC
Hi Julian!

For large scale sailing models, I find rigging relaxing, but the same does not apply to rigging steel ships even in 1:350 scale--very odd, isn't it?

Regarding your HMS Victory project, I would forward Shepherd Paine's advice: don't bother modeling that which cannot be seen. In this case, I recommend dry fitting the hull and decks and observing just how much of the interior can actually be seen. I would bet that most of the guns (apart from their barrels of course) would not be seen at all, thereby saving yourself from having to rig 100+ individual carriage mounts.

I have a couple of sailing-era projects on the boards, so it will be a nice change to get back to 1:96 modeling.

--Karl
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, September 08, 2010 - 05:51 AM UTC
Obrigado Rui, your observations are spot on. Coin dropped with a clang when you mentioned weathering the gun tackles. That would have toned them down nicely. Have to remember that on future builds.

Hi Karl, with eyesight that seems to get worse every week I don't find rigging relaxing It is easier in in larger scale though. I have a nasty feeling that the Victory will be one of the kits in my stash that will never be built. It would consume a lot of time and effort and I seem to be drifting back towards WW I and II battleships at the moment. For the next few months I wil be working on the Haruna. Take the future from after that
cheers,
Julian
jimlolok
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 53 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 08:07 AM UTC
beautiful job..Do concur about some discreet weathering though..Also reminds me I must tackle my IMAI version before the old eyes give completely..
I recently finished the Biggie Revell CONSTITUTION for the US Embassy here in Warsaw and the rigging is not so bad when you have the tools and just get yourself into the ''zone'. No coffee and about 60 to 90 minutes at a time..Job soon done.
Same with guns..Just make a production line out of it...I also have the Heller Victory and have bought all brass cannons ready for her..
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, September 13, 2010 - 08:39 AM UTC
Thanks James, How about some photos of your Constitution? My 1/96th Constitution is still standing half finished in my sauna and looking like it will never get finished
Cheers,
Julian

(before anyone asks: yes, a sauna is a great place to store models until you turn the heat on)
Lord_Kitchener
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 2 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 03:41 PM UTC
I think this may be the best simulated wood ever. Beautiful with the faded red...., I will have to try this technique next time.
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 - 05:06 AM UTC
Extremely kind of you Norman, thank you !
Cheers,
Julian
 _GOTOTOP