_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Pool Water
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 11:50 AM UTC
Greetings fellow modellers!

I am trying to simulate the water in the pools of the Revell 1/400 Queen Mary 2 and wondering what I could use to make it look like there is water in the pools rather than just painting the bottom and sides. I might have used the decals Revell supplied if I had not taken the time to use the Gold Medal Models PE set with the model... Making 100s of chairs and tables means I am not going to skimp on pools!

Thanks In Advance
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 12:09 PM UTC
Warren,

I would paint the pool sides and bottom and then once that dries add gloss gel medium to fill up the pool.
smithrp
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 79 posts
Model Shipwrights: 56 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 02:30 PM UTC
Hi: In regards to your water. What I do is crumple up a piece of tin foil, then flatten it out, cut to fit your pool and glue it in. Next paint it a light coat of appropriate colors, then fill it with a clear resin. I use Enviro-tex. It is a 2 component resin 50/50 mix, and is available at any hobby shop. Practice first to get the hang of it before you damage your pool. Looks very convincing.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 03:28 PM UTC
Two marvellous ideas. I will have to see if I can get Enviro-tex or the resin gel here is the land Downunder. Keep the ideas coming!

Thanks guys.
warreni
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 - 06:30 PM UTC
I rang a place in Sydney and ordered some Envirotex! I need about 50 mls but the smallest portion was 500 mls... Oh well. Will paint the outside furniture with it as well..

Thanks again guys.
 _GOTOTOP