_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
More Stupid Questions
oceano75
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Model Shipwrights: 22 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 10:29 AM UTC
Hi guys,

I started reading on this site in August. I posted once in the Carpenter section. I just agreed to join the SAR project.

Questions:
In my profile - how do I add my picture?
On my profile banner - what do the symbols to the far right mean? I am a "First Lieutenant". Where did that come from?
How do the rograms" work? If the SAR Program is approved, do I just build a SAR related subject within the time frame of the program and post it?
I see the printed "benefits" of subscribing to the site for $3.49 a month, but not that many people seem to be subscribers. Are there REALLY benfits to subscribing?
Background - Do I add my modeling background in my profile page?

I told you they were stupid questions, but thanks in advance for the answers and I look forward to actively participating in this forum.

Frank
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 12:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi guys,

I started reading on this site in August. I posted once in the Carpenter section. I just agreed to join the SAR project.

Questions:
In my profile - how do I add my picture?
On my profile banner - what do the symbols to the far right mean? I am a "First Lieutenant". Where did that come from?
How do the rograms" work? If the SAR Program is approved, do I just build a SAR related subject within the time frame of the program and post it?
I see the printed "benefits" of subscribing to the site for $3.49 a month, but not that many people seem to be subscribers. Are there REALLY benfits to subscribing?
Background - Do I add my modeling background in my profile page?

I told you they were stupid questions, but thanks in advance for the answers and I look forward to actively participating in this forum.

Frank

Hi Frank

There are no stupid questions
So, here's the answers (these can really be stupid):
1 - On the top right hand side of the screen, there's your callsign: oceano75
Click on it and you'll get to your account page. Click modify profile and you'll see a new page where you can add your photo (as long as it is on your kitmaker gallery; edit the image first);
You can add a lot of info for us to know you a little bit... or not! It really depends on the user - it's not mandatory!
The first lieutenant is changeable if you click on Forum Rank Selection in the same page.
As you can see I don't have a rank showed.... this is given according to forum posts.

2 - We here call these Campaigns, not programs
And yes you have nailed it. A given theme, a time frame, in the end those who have accomplished this will be awarded a ribbon - and some fun during the build period. WIP logs are usually centralized on the Campaign Thread, where the participants share their progresses, cry for help, etc.

3 - Subscriber: I am and I think it's a great way of you supporting the community... Posting your WIP's photos, participating in discussions, making friends, submitting Reviews, photos for MOD's (Model On Display) and features (text + photos).... For me it works great considering I have 6454 photos uploaded under my user (ok, I used to be ME for MSW);

4 - Background: IMHO, yes please

Cheers,
Rui
oceano75
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 22 posts
Model Shipwrights: 22 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 03:56 PM UTC
Rui,

Thank You!
I was on my profile page trying to figure out how to change my profile page!
Got it all updated - just need a picture.

I was not on the campaign page and could not remember the word campaign. The only thing that came to me was program. Brain dead!

I see you are in the SAR Campaign also - can't wait to start.

Frank
 _GOTOTOP