_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Military Support Vessels
Non-combat support vessels of any type and post-sail.
Hosted by Harry
Nippon Maru
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 12:44 AM UTC
Hello there, while my building has now come to a close, the finishing touches to my Nippon Maru has just been complete, I built my first Nippon just over 2 years ago, and later when I submit this to the gallery, I would like a side by side sort of thing, as I believe my skill has moved on slightly. In the mean time, if its not to much trouble, then please leave both good and if need be, bad comments. Thank you.
Nippon Maru 2 045
Nippon Maru 2 056
Nippon Maru 2 036
Nippon Maru 2 030
Nippon Maru 2 020
Nippon Maru 2 035
Nippon Maru 2 047
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 04:24 AM UTC
Hi Alec, the colors are realistic and the composition is life like. Looks very good and gives an impression of how it must have looked on the islands across the Pacific when stores arrived. The rigging of the Nippon Maru looks okay, (slightly bare but we are talking small scale and not 1/96th, so that is to be expected). Should there be sails rolled up somewhere?
All in all I like it with the exception of the rather gobsmackingly pink fluffy towel you placed it on
Cheers,
Julian
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 06:13 AM UTC
And what's wrong with pink fluffy LOL many thanks for the constructive words, oddly enough unlike the kit by Lee, this Aoshima kit doesn't call for them, it does come with the PE and mast beam, but nothing within the instruction or original photograph of this model. Through its time, this was a training ship, a 4 mast sail, those mast was cut at some stage and finally converted into the oiler. The other little problem of the Nippon Maru, is, there were several ships called Nippon Maru.
It been a bit of a pain getting info on this ship.
Once again, many thanks for the reply.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 06:16 AM UTC
Excellent composition, skillful use of diagonal lines, good treatment of the water effects, and I like the activity on the quarterdeck rail--is the figure beating out the dirt from the Captain's cabin rug?

On the other hand, I think the pink (or coral) towel adds a tropical flourish to the photography...and you've got a nice backyard, too Alec!

--Karl
bigal07
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 06:23 AM UTC
This is one of 4 photo's left from my Nippon Maru by Lee, I built this just over 2 years ago when I first came back into this crazy hobby.
nipponmaru-01
Also ''NOT'' sorry to add - you 2 guys have made me laugh with those pink comments, thank you for that.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 25, 2010 - 08:45 AM UTC
Beautiful work Al.
 _GOTOTOP