_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
PHOTOS: MODEL
LCS-2 USS Independence
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 02:57 AM UTC
MSW plank-owner Rui Matos (skipper) shares a fine gallery of images of his latest build, LCS-2 USS Independence, in this "On Display" feature!

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 03:11 AM UTC
There is a whole array of these types of stealth ship, some designs are quite simply barking mad, but you certainly can't call this a run of the mill looking ship. The problem with dioramas, especially planning them, is getting as much in as possible without over-doing it. And this look really nice, and what an odd looking ship, like something straight out of a sci fi book. Well done Rui on a very good looking dio.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 06:00 AM UTC
Rui,

Great looking dio!! I really like how you brought out the grid pattern on the skin of this ship. Just a great look over all!

Alex,
This thing looks even stranger in person. I got to see her just after she hit the water in Modile Alabama. Had I still been in the Navy when it came time to man her up I might have extended so I could have taken her out. She looks like one heck of a ship running at speed.

bigal07
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 887 posts
Model Shipwrights: 575 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 06:25 AM UTC
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK-Nt6abUIo
While I am completely rubbish with computers, fingers crossed I've got this right, it should be a link into youtube.
Not being funny, the model looks odd, more sci fi then navy so imagine a sudden gulp of air when I came across this footage of the actual.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 08:42 AM UTC
Wonderful work Rui!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 5,182 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,070 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 12:56 PM UTC
Thanks guys!
There are a few glitches in the built since I rush it for an event, but I think I can solve them still

Jim,
I adapted what Carl Musselman is doing with his LCS-2, making it in several steps:
1 - Paint the "base" with a mix of US Navy Haze Gray (WEM) + Aluminium (Humbrol) + White (WEM) at a 10/3/1 proportion.
2 - Make a slightly darker variation of this, and spray some vertical "steps" with a hard line going smooth to the end from bow to stern (only on the vertical surfaces)
3 - Mask the grid pattern with 1mm tape and I should have airbrushed it instead of paint brush it
This last step was made with replacing the white with a very small dab of gunmetal

After this weather with artists oils (raw humber), checking and double checking the real ship photos

Thank (you again)
Rui
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 01:40 PM UTC
Rui,

Well you sure did a bang up job on the on the finish. When I saw her in mobile she had a look like that. I made sure to to pay attention when we sailed past her. I really like the design, it is such a different looking ship.

Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Monday, September 27, 2010 - 10:40 PM UTC
Making an ugly ship look good is quite a feat.
Well done, Rui!
Guido
beefy66
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 971 posts
Model Shipwrights: 645 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 12:21 AM UTC
Rui well done dio again I was not sure of this kit myself at first would not call it Ugly but different and seeing the way you have done this makes me want to try one
Cheers keith
CarlOmaha
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 97 posts
Model Shipwrights: 94 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 03:47 AM UTC
I love it, Rui!

It surprised me that this ship is about the size of an Aegis Cruiser. I originally thought that it would be much smaller than it is.

You were more meticulous than I was on my panelled finish. I used a home-made stencil and airbrush instead of your masking tape method. Yours came out more defined.

I declined to put halyards on the yardarm. I was afraid of bending the yardarm. It was kind of flimsy. Your anchor and chain is impressive but, I see that you didn't add the doors to the port side that are missing on the model but appear in photos. I didn't do this, either.

How did you decide on the color of the water?

On my model, I used the full hull piece and sanded it down to a waterline just a little lower than the waterline optional piece. In photos of the real thing I noticed that the nose of the bow jutted out forward, a little, and I wanted to portray this detail.

How did your diorama fare in the Event that you mentioned?

As can only be expected.......I like yours better than mine.

skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 04:18 AM UTC
Hi Carl (and rest of the guys)

The credit on the paneling is all yours... but I changed the colors a bit, make them darker than yours. I still think you are more perfect than me in this and also on the PE parts
The warning circles are a plus on your model, and I didn't want to sacrifice my only JAG circle decal sheet on this project (there are two portuguese navy projects for it).

I tried not to add more doors and hatches, life rings and more bits and pieces, or I could miss the deadline (ModelScala contest).
But I still plan on doing some modifications, especially in the bow railings... just check the Trumpeter model images and there a clue on how the railing should be.

Also, and back to the waterline point, I think that you made the right choice on using the full hull and cut it. The waterline is too low for what I see, but again, too late for it. It would be interesting to see the black boot toping and the darker gray bellow it, to make it even more interesting - tip for other builders!

The water color was supposed to be more blueish (as one photo of it arriving at Naval Air Station Key West, Mole Pier) but it turned greenish... even if the mix of colors satisfy me

Result on the contest: Gold in Military Dioramas (all types, all scales)

I like your LCS-2 very much, Carl! You should be very proud of it!!

Thank you!
Rui
CarlOmaha
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 04:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Carl (and rest of the guys)

The warning circles are a plus on your model, and I didn't want to sacrifice my only JAG circle decal sheet on this project (there are two portuguese navy projects for it).

Result on the contest: Gold in Military Dioramas (all types, all scales)

I like your LCS-2 very much, Carl! You should be very proud of it!!

Thank you!
Rui

Congratulations on the Gold, Rui! Bravo!

I know what you mean about the JAG warning circles. I'm disappointed that they have been discontinued. I'm hoping someone else will make some more. There just aren't enough of them on the new JAG decal sets, although I like them, too.

I'm glad that you like my LCS-2. It is a straight forward kit and its the finish that will make the model, I think. I'm thinking about taking mine to a contest in Kansas City at the end of October.
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 04:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I know what you mean about the JAG warning circles. I'm disappointed that they have been discontinued. I'm hoping someone else will make some more. There just aren't enough of them on the new JAG decal sets, although I like them, too.

Perhaps Darren from Hawk Graphics could make a deal with JAG?

Quoted Text

I'm glad that you like my LCS-2. It is a straight forward kit and its the finish that will make the model, I think. I'm thinking about taking mine to a contest in Kansas City at the end of October.

Carl, there's nothing NOT TO LIKE on your LCS-2! We just make it different (to my knowledge you are the first and I am the second to finish it in a dio?)...
Please let us know on how it turned out in Kansas

Cheers,
Rui
CarlOmaha
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 05:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Perhaps Darren from Hawk Graphics could make a deal with JAG?

Cheers,
Rui

I have already made the suggestion to Darren, a couple of times, actually. His reply, "We'll see." He is actually busy with other higher priority items, at the moment. Which is understandable.
CarlOmaha
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 05:20 AM UTC
Another gentleman is near completion of his LCS-2 and posted some pics, here.........

http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=54330

I like his, too!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 05:45 AM UTC
Thanks for sharing Carl!

Yes, it looks very good too! Let's see how it turns the water bit of the project

Cheers
Rui
jba
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 1,845 posts
Model Shipwrights: 502 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 08:09 AM UTC
it doesn't look like you put out so much dioramas in a year but everytime they're a feast to the eye! I really like all those angles, those subtle weathering tomes and your odd coloured seas, really the whole looks fantastic!
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 12:42 PM UTC
Merci Jean-Bernard!
I'm very honored by your comments!

Rui
peterf
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 426 posts
Model Shipwrights: 424 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 - 08:28 PM UTC
Another great dio, Rui, and the panel effect is the way to go from now on.

Cheers,

Peter F
skipper
Visit this Community
Lisboa, Portugal
Posted: Wednesday, September 29, 2010 - 03:22 AM UTC
Thanks Peter!
You should add Carl's LCS and the link he posted... all "mixed together" would make a smashing model!
But than, it's the "problem" of being the guinea-pigs of new models

Looking forward to see your LCS-2

Again Thank you
Cheers,
Rui

PS: give my regards to Mercedes
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Model Shipwrights: 228 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 14, 2010 - 12:39 AM UTC
Beautiful build, Rui! Excellent finish and very nice diorama as already pointed out by others.

Thanks for sharing
 _GOTOTOP