_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
REVIEW
Enterprise CVAN-65 (1962) Decals
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 - 05:46 AM UTC
Ahoy Shipmates!!!

MSW Crewmember Dariush [Dr_Who2] shares with us his thoughts on Star Fighter Decals USS Enterprise CVAN-65 (1962)Set in 1/720. This is one review in a series covering the ships of the Enterprise line.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
bravozulu
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 124 posts
Model Shipwrights: 123 posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 - 04:37 PM UTC
In defense, and I am in no way connected with Starfighter Decals, but THAT was an unfair review.
Its not that the modeler is shortchanged on the amount of decal groups for each airplane, THAT would be unforgivable, but here we are basting him for providing far too many decal groups for airplanes that dont exist. So, the modeler is getting MORE for his money than provided in the kit.
Okay, so lets say an aftermarket manufacturer in plastic or resin, provides xtra airplane sets in that scale as a generic add on. Now, the modeler has a bonus because he can use the sheet provided, and then use up the additional decals on the add on sets. Add on sets are now found everywhere, and the provision of xtra decals on a sheet is considered a god send.
Take this for example, ALL the new DRAGON kits come with all the necessary sprues for that kit, but they also come with a huge selection of xtra kit parts and accessories for NOT that kit in the box, but for MANY others. These beautifull and free little extras are stored by us modelers in what we call a 'spares box' for ongoing future projects...I have dipped into mine a thousand times. Same goes for the decal sheets, I have tons of sheets chopped and hacked and carefully saved for future projects and I certainly never condemned or downgraded a product because of the extras.
I am a designer for Dragon. I am the one that told them to add in all the little TUG BOATS you find in the PENNSY and other ship kits. AND the PT boats.. Not part of the kit, but, wow, what a BONUS. And its great for the modeler.
Judge the product for what you see in front of you.... the carrying film quality...never mentioned that did you...SF Decals is superb. The tack sharp craftmsanship is right up there. Variety...gosh, full house there.
30% ???? I give them 95%....
Ray D. Bean, Winnipeg, Canada.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Monday, October 18, 2010 - 05:14 PM UTC
A review is always a personal opinion and luckily you always have the right to disagree with the conclusions, ( well, until Geert Wilders becomes president of the World anyway ). Darius has written a lot of reviews on this site and he is usually very generous in his opinion on subjects. I certainly appreciate an honest review that does mention any "bloopers" or problems. I can understand his remark about the availability of some of the aircraft for which markings are supplied here.
(just my 2 cents....................................................................)
cheers,
Julian
 _GOTOTOP