_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Kriegsmarine uniforms
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 09:33 AM UTC
My question is was there any branch of the Kriegsmarine that wore a uniform similar in cut to the Wehrmacht uniform, and if so, what color and in which duties would it be worn. Reason for this question is I wish to place my Italeri 1/35 Biber in a diorama setting on a dock. The Biber will be seated on a wheeled trolley being pushed along tracks by a couple of personel. The figures I would like to use are a couple of guys from a Mini Art set who are pushing oil barrels, but could equally be pushing anything heavy from a vehicle to a ...Biber! They are wearing standard early Wehrmacht uniforms. Failing this, could there be any reason for Wehrmacht troops to be working on a dock on a Naval installation?
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 12:07 PM UTC
Yes, I'm not an expert but I remember an illustration from an old Blandford book on WW2 uniforms that showed the uniform of the German Naval Infantry/Marines to be the same as the Wehrmacht tunic but with a gold/yellow breast eagle. I'll see if I can find the book tomorrow
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Model Shipwrights: 833 posts
Posted: Friday, October 22, 2010 - 02:02 PM UTC
Hi Pat. I did some digging for myself (can't let everyone else do my dirty work):), and found the Kriegsmarine version of the M36 tunic in field grey and only minor differences to the Wehrmacht one. Usually issued to coastal artillery. There was another similar type of jacket without lower pockets issued for work duties. I saw somewhere work fatigues in a very light color, maybe white. This is the type of uniform I'm going for. If you can help me along these lines, I will be very grateful.
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
KitMaker: 6,048 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 04:12 AM UTC
Yeah it was coastal artillery I was thinking of.

I have seen the white fatigue uniform worn by army personnel but then I'm not really up on Navy uniforms. Submarine crew though wore very diverse uniforms including stocks of captured British Battledress.
The only problem I see with the Miniart figures is that they are wearing high boots
 _GOTOTOP