_GOTOBOTTOM
Research & Resources
Discuss on research, history, and issues dealing with reference materials.
FEATURE: WALKAROUND
Vosper Motor Torpedo Boat 71
Gunny
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 24, 2010 - 10:50 PM UTC
KitMaker Contributing Writer and MSW crew-mate Alan McNeilly (AlanL) brings us a walk-around of MTB 71, currently located at the Imperial War Museum, Duxford.

Link to Item

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
~Gunny
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Monday, October 25, 2010 - 12:36 PM UTC
Thanks for the walkaround Alan. I would be a tad bit worried to go out in the Channel on a vessel with those gaps between the planks.
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,919 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 26, 2010 - 04:21 AM UTC
Hi Kenny,

Yes, not sea worthy in it's present state

I spoke to one of the conservation chaps at IWM Duxford before my visit to see if access to the interior would be possible, but as it has been pretty much gutter it is in an unsafe state. That might explain why it is set so high up to stop anyone walking on the deck for H & S reasons.

Here is an interesting link outlining the potted history of the boat, it's seen action a few times and been shelled and damaged on several occasions.

http://www.bmpt.org.uk/other_boats_history/MTB-71/index2.htm

I'm thinking it needs a friends of MTB 71 Society to raise a bit fo cash to help restore it properly lol, lol.

I don't know how many Vospers still exist, not many I would think, but it would be good to see it structurally sound and fully kitted out. At least it should be in good hands if money or opportunity ever come around for a full restoration.

Al

_GOTOTOP