_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Tall ships: best kit?
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 409 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 27, 2010 - 12:43 PM UTC
Im thinking of trying my hand at a waterlined old galleon..Id like to do her at full sail heading through choppy seas..can anyone advise me as to what would be considered a good kit, taking into account detail, mouldings, and price?..many thanks..
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 - 05:27 PM UTC
Most of my experience (6 built so far) were large scale wooden tall ships kits , but I'm guessing you mean plastic so, to my knowledge only 2 come to mind that I consider very good. Top of the list is Heller's 1:100 HMS Victory, beautifully molded, quite accurate and can be customized nicely if you take the time to replace the masts and spars with wooden doweling . Next my choice would be Revell's 1:96 USS Constitution, which I did build back when I first started modeling and surprisingly, came out better than I expected.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 - 07:13 PM UTC
There are a couple more actually:
1/96 Revell Cutty Sark: old model but still produces a beautiful model when finished.
1/50 Heller Chebec: Long out of production but examples still appear on E-Bay although they can be very expensive, ( took me three attempts and $170,- US to get hold of one).
1/75 Heller La Reale de France: Once again a magnificent model when built. Has just been reissued so should be easy to get hold of.
1/100 Heller Soleil Royal: a beautiful model that has been the cause of much controversy on it's accuracy as far as the underwater hull is concerned. Still builds up to a magnificent ship.

cheers,
Julian
Rab
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 353 posts
Model Shipwrights: 207 posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 - 09:49 PM UTC
I was going to mention the Soleil Royal but for the controversy, but if your waterlining it, no problems. I don't think the La Reale de France really qualifies as a "Tall Ship', but very interesting subject none-the-less.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 07:23 AM UTC
You have a valid point there Kym. It would be a rather "sawn off" tall ship at a pinch I suppose
Cheers,
Julian
JimMrr
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,505 posts
Model Shipwrights: 409 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 31, 2010 - 12:40 AM UTC
many thanks guys!!
 _GOTOTOP