_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
1/700 USS Maurice J. Manuel (DE-351)
redneck
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 28, 2010 - 08:35 AM UTC
Just got this model done after having it on the bench for the last few years.

I will be giving this model to my grandfather who was a crew member on the ship in the early 50s.

The kit is by sky wave and I made some modifications to bring it up to its configuration when when he was on board.
Also added are 2 PE sets, resin 40mms and white metal hedgehog launchers.

The whole things in a clear plastic case and the base was done with vallijo water effects.

Also I would like to thank both Gunny and his father for the extra info I needed for this build and would also like to thank Skipper for the white metal hedgehog launchers he kindly sent me for it. You guys were all a big help.

Thanks for looking and any comments or questions are welcome.
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 - 12:35 PM UTC
Wonderful work Jacob.
Gunny
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
Model Shipwrights: 4,704 posts
Posted: Friday, October 29, 2010 - 02:50 PM UTC
Ah yes, Jacob, soooo nice when a plan comes together now, isn't it!?!

Nice work, neighbor, I'm sure your grandfather will display her proudly, mate...a very special build, and gift Jacob, my pleasure to be of a bit of help, as well as my old man's (the real Gunny, Semper Fi, Dad!) input...I would love to see a picture of him, you, and the ship together.

Thanks for sharing the experience, mate!

Cheers,
~Gunny
redneck
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
Model Shipwrights: 665 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 30, 2010 - 12:49 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments.

I took it back for him and he has it sitting on the dresser right next to the TV. (He can't get around too well anymore and spends most of his time in his room watching TV.)

I just tacked the case together with a few spots of white glue so i can pull it open and get better pictures once the water effects completely cure.
The base itself is 2 strips of styrofoam with vallijo water effects covering it. The stuff got a bit too thick in the middle giving it that light blue line you can see in the shots. This should clear up in a week or so.

Quoted Text

I would love to see a picture of him, you, and the ship together.

I can try but can't guarantee much. He's a bit camera shy plus I would have to get him sometime he's out of his room. (chairs right between the bed and wall so he can hold stuff moving around.) They are going to buy new chairs today for the living room and my grandmother plans to buy a new TV and get digital cable in the living room soon so he may start spending more time out there again.
 _GOTOTOP