_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
DUST!
sphyrna
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 379 posts
Model Shipwrights: 43 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 03:12 AM UTC
Hi all,
I have a few models done and a few more in the final stages of completion. My concern is dust. I usually stop modeling Spring and Summer and pick it up again when the cold weather sets in. The other week I noticed
What's the best way to remove dust from a model - the type of dust that a puff of air won't get off? (and one of those computer keyboard cans of air would be too powerful).

I don't have an enclosed cabinet to display my models so currently they are just on shelves.
retiredbee2
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 757 posts
Model Shipwrights: 29 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 04:48 AM UTC
One way is to aim a hair dryer on cool setting toward it while lightly brushing with a very soft bristle brush. Works pretty well for me. ...... ......Al
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Model Shipwrights: 258 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 10:15 AM UTC
If your serious about keeping and displaying your finished builds,you have got to put them behind glass,or the dust will drive you crazy.Invest in some cheap curios from IKEA ,build your own,or if you want to go high end,see gemodisplays.com or granpascabinets for some nice stuff.But you will not regret putting them away from dust buildup.
bravozulu
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
KitMaker: 124 posts
Model Shipwrights: 123 posts
Posted: Friday, November 05, 2010 - 03:50 PM UTC
Some options are, and dont laugh, but put a fine screen on the bottom of your kitchen sink, and gently set the nozzle water spray to room temperature and gently tilt and rotate your model in effect rinsing everything off. Then, turn upside down on rack to dry. Hunt down very fine cosmetic makeup brushes and you can twist and twirl on the surface of the model as you water it down...the screen will catch any loosened parts for re attaching.
If the model does not have prickly things sticking out you can drape light saran wrap gently around and under . There are plastic storage boxes everywhere in kitchenware departments , see through for you to store the completed models till your next display.
 _GOTOTOP