_GOTOBOTTOM
New Content
Announcements on new content additions to the site.
MSW Scuttlebutt
11/23/10
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,422 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5,079 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 01:12 AM UTC

Welcome to MSW’s Scuttlebutt! Here’s the news for the day.

On Display Feature - Trinity House South Goodwin Lightship

New MSW crew-mate Doug Hallet (budgie) sends in his first submission, a very impressive action build of the Trinity House South Goodwin Lightship in this "On Display" feature.

Say Hello, Wave Goodbye: the Royal Navy’s Mighty HMS Ark Royal to Visit the Clyde for the Last Time
Source: UK Ministry of Defense

After celebrating 25 years in Fleet commission at a special ceremony attended by HM The Queen in Portsmouth on November 5, the Royal Navy’s aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal will, this Friday (November 12) sail into the Clyde for the final time.

The Invincible-class carrier was considered in the Fleet reductions required under SDSR and Ark will now retire gracefully having delivered a quarter of a century of proud and sterling service to the country.

Her role as the current Royal Navy flagship will initially be taken on by amphibious assault ship HMS Albion in early December.

The Mighty Ark, as she is affectionately known in the Senior Service, is paying her final visit to the Clyde in order to deammunition at Glen Mallan Jetty on Loch Long.

Alongside for five days, the ship is sure to draw navy enthusiasts and well wishers. And members of the crew look forward to enjoying local hospitality for the final time. Unfortunately she will not be open for the general public to go on board.

Strathclyde Police officers are requesting that any members of the public who intend to take a look at the ship remain mindful of other drivers and the narrow nature of the Loch Long-side road. Please remain courteous, consider the safety of other road users, ensure that traffic can pass and move on as quickly as possible.

Ministry of Defence Police officers will be on site to advise.

“We are requesting that any members of the public who intend visiting the site are aware that the opportunities for parking in the area are extremely rare,” explained Inspector Anne Hopper. “And in the interests of road safety we would discourage travel by car.”

She will then sail out of the river on Wednesday (November 17) morning for the final time, leaving Glen Mallan around 10am.

Her farewell voyage will take her around the north of Scotland, before she makes a short journey down the north east coast of England and into Newcastle, where she was built by Swan Hunters at Wallsend.

“There is no question that there is a certain amount of sadness attached to this final deployment,” said Commanding Officer, Captain Jerry Kyd. “But it is also an opportunity for us to celebrate the Silver Jubilee of this fine ship and for us to show her off once more.

“She has played a very important role throughout her history and we have always been lucky enough to draw great affection and support from the British public wherever we go.

“For me, personally, I have been exceptionally proud to serve as her Captain – my very first job after finishing my initial officer training 25 years ago at Dartmouth was in the then brand new HMS Ark Royal.

“It is therefore a great honour for me to be able to command her farewell tour as her last Captain.

“I am very fortunate to be at the helm of an exceptional crew, whose professional skills will be re-allocated and valued in the wider Royal Naval service, long after the ship herself has been decommissioned – so her work and memory will continue to serve the Royal Navy well.

“I am only too aware that this famous ship and her iconic name mean so much to so many, but although Ark Royal will be decommissioned, the Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers are vastly more capable and provide the Royal Navy with an exciting future.”

The fifth vessel to bear the proud name, Ark Royal was launched by Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother on 20 June 1981, accepted into service on 1 July 1985 and commissioned on November 1985.

During her busy life the ship has seen service around the globe and has shown her adaptability from the original role as an anti-submarine helicopter carrier designed for the Cold War through to the Commando helicopter and carrier strike role of recent years.

Ark’s operations have included playing a pivotal part of the NATO campaign during the Bosnia conflict and, in early 2003, leading the UK’s naval forces during Op Telic – the invasion of Iraq, with a fleet of helicopters embarked.

In 2010, HMS Ark Royal has led a large multi-national task force during Operation Auriga and, this year alone, has demonstrated the versatility operating a wide range of aircraft, including Joint Force GR9 Harrier jets, US Marine Corps, AV8B Harrier jets, as well as Chinook, Apache, Sea King, Merlin and Lynx helicopters.

Unfortunately, the ship will not be open to visitors during her time at Glen Mallan, but she will be open to the public whilst in Newcastle – on Saturday and Sunday (November 20 and 21) from 10am-3pm each day.

Latest Type 45 Destroyer Enters Service with the Royal Navy
Source: U.K Ministry of Defense

The latest Type 45 destroyer, HMS Dauntless, has entered service with the Royal Navy, the Ministry of Defence announced today.

The warship, which has a hull made of 2,800 tonnes of steel, is the second in the fleet of six air defence destroyers and has undergone months of extensive sea trials. She recently returned from the Hebrides where she successfully fired the world-leading air defence missile system, Sea Viper, for the first time.

The ship, which has fuel tanks that are roughly half as big as an Olympic-sized swimming pool, will now undergo further trials and training to prepare for her first operational deployment planned for next year.

Minister for Defence Equipment, Support and Technology, Peter Luff, said:

"The declaration of HMS Dauntless' in-service date is a significant achievement, even more so when you consider that first of class HMS Daring achieved the same milestone only three months ago.

"This is testament to the hard work of MOD and industry teams to deliver these hugely capable vessels, which will ensure the Royal Navy is well equipped to meet the demands of the future."

Captain Richard Powell, Dauntless' Commanding Officer, said:

"Entry into service of this very powerful and advanced warship is a great day for both the ship's company and the Royal Navy.

"These modern multi-purpose vessels will replace some of our older warships and ensure that the UK can react to current defence challenges anywhere in the world."

Head of the Destroyers Project Team, Commodore Steve Brunton, added:

"I am delighted that we have declared HMS Dauntless in-service, coming hot on the heels of her successful firing of the Sea Viper missile system. This considerable success demonstrates that the Type 45 ship-build programme is progressing well.

"With all six Type 45s now in the water, the Destroyers Project Team, industry, Navy Command and ships companies are in the busiest year yet of this important programme for the Royal Navy and this key event for HMS Dauntless is a result of a magnificent team effort."

HMS Dauntless was launched in January 2007 and has since undertaken months of sea trials. She set sail from Portsmouth on 15 November 2010 to begin her second set of sea trials.

This Day in U.S. Naval History

1940 - President Franklin D. Roosevelt appoints Adm. William D. Leahy as U.S. Ambassador to Vichy, France, to try to prevent the French fleet and naval bases from falling into German hands.

Photo of the Day

The guided-missile cruiser USS Cape St. George (CG 71) is underway in the Arabian Gulf.

Gator
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 - 05:19 AM UTC
Kenny, thanks for that great picture. I had to save that one to my hard drive. Makes me want to be at sea. Seems like I've got that feeling of, as Jimmy Buffett said "I've been too long on the mainland......"

Thanks again for that great picture and for your fantastic products. If you quit making Gator Glue I think I'd have to give up modeling.

Bob
 _GOTOTOP