_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Carriers
Topics on all types of carriers from the early 20th century to today.
Enterprise Port CIWS Sponson
cyarborough
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2010 - 11:43 AM UTC
hi everyone, I posted this to another site but did not receive any feedback. Hoping someone here can help. I have been doing a little bit of research and just started building my Tamiya Enterprise. I found the following picture. The photographer says it is from 1982.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maleny_steve/2841075443/in/photostream/

I am attempting to build an 82 E. I have heard a number of people state that this sponson was lengthened in the refit just prior to 82. I just received Detail & Scale that shows the lengthened version.

Can anyone tell me from experience, research, or even the airwing pictured if the short sponson configuration is correct for 82? Judging by the shape of the kit part and when the kit was released I have to believe that it is.
cyarborough
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2 posts
Posted: Friday, December 17, 2010 - 12:26 PM UTC
I think I found my answer.

Some of the aircraft markings I see are VF114 and VF22. Those were post refit so the sponson extension must have taken place between the refit and the publishing of Detail & Scale.

Hmm...another interesting pic in his set. EA-3B of VQ-1. Not in any of the squadron lists I have seen online but it is in the 82 cruise book.
 _GOTOTOP