_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Need help with Revell 1/96 CSS Alabama
jstratton
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 12:36 AM UTC
I am building the Revell 1/96 scale CSS Alabama and would like to know about the main deck. The main deck is in three parts and the instructions state to glue them into the hull one at a time. I want to build the deck outside the hull and insert it as one piece. This would allow me the chance to add some of the deck details ie. pad eyes and blocks, easier than if installed into the hull. My question is is it possible to assemble the deck outside the hull and insert it as one piece? Any help on this matter would be appreciated.
Jim Stratton
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Model Shipwrights: 54 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 01:58 AM UTC
I'm not familiar with that kit, but is it possible to only place each deck piece into the hull (or tack it in with dots of white glue that you can pull apart later), gluing each deck piece in turn to the other deck pieces? When it's dry, remove the deck from the hull as one piece? I'd especially want to add scrap plastic strengtheners to the back of each joint.
If this doesn't help you directly, at least this will bump your message back to the top of the list
-Sean.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 13, 2011 - 05:22 AM UTC
Hi Jim!

You can use lengths of sheet styrene to make lap plates beneath the joints where the deck parts meet to make a strong connection outside the hull. Be careful to keep the lap plate ends away from the deck side edges so the deck sections will fit into the notch molded into the hull halve.

Your LHS should have sheet styrene available.

--Karl
 _GOTOTOP