_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
What is the scale effect? Do you use it?
chuckster
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Model Shipwrights: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, January 14, 2011 - 09:00 PM UTC
I've read about what is called the 'scale effect' with regard to painting ship and aircraft models. Apparantly, people think the shade of a color should vary by the scale of a model. I personally prefer to paint my models in the most authentic colors possible for that particular ship or airplane. If I chose to use the scale effect, how would I use it? Do many of you guys use it?
Budgie
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 163 posts
Model Shipwrights: 162 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 04:42 AM UTC
Chuckster, I don't normally use scale effect on hull colors (but then I'm not picky about exact shades) but the concept involves the fact that colors will tend to blur and fade as you see an object from a distance. This would be most prominent for stronger primary colors, especially white and black. Generally you would want to use an "engine black" for pure black and a light gray for white when working in smaller scales, depending on the items in question . For instance, I scratch built a hangar for my 1/350 Yamato. The walls should be white, but at 1/350 scale that would look artificial and garish, so I will use a light gray instead, and the effect as looked through the doors should be more appealing and realistic. Part of the concept also takes into consideration natural shading, which cannot usually be replicated because of the small size of angles and surfaces on kit pieces.
TracyWhite
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 527 posts
Model Shipwrights: 464 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 15, 2011 - 07:54 PM UTC
As distance increases, the color of an object will tend to fade towards neutral. Some think a color gets lighter, but this is incorrect; it's just becoming more of a neutral tone, The "problem" with scale effect is that of you are truly a proponent and follower of it, you need to tune your appearance for a set distance. "This scale effect represents the ship as if she were 1,000 feet away from the viewer."

I choose to tone down some colors I feel are too intense, such as some whites and blacks, but I don't work on all of the colors.
 _GOTOTOP