_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Aurora's old Tucumcari hydrofoil kit question
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
Model Shipwrights: 25 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 11:41 AM UTC
Hey folks, got a question about the old Aurora kit "Boeing PGH-2 Tucumcari Hydrofoil". I just happened into 1 1/2 kits...2nd kit is missing the hull pieces but complete otherwise. Now, is this model, in your opinions, worth building or should I just stash it as the antique it is. I built one as a much younger person{alot of us have} and would like to build "one" just for the way back affect. I could resin copy the hull pieces and build one and stash the full kit as an investment I suppose...my Uncle "gave" me these two kits that he had so my investment is low{I'm very lucky - I know}, but I know these kits go for some nice money these days...what's a guy to do?
Opinions please!....Thanks.
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 01:17 PM UTC
Go check over at Old Model Kits and see if they are worth anything.

If not build one.

old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 03:19 PM UTC
Holy "_____"!!!!!.....no way!
what they say-wow! ...well......I'm not so sure now.
Thanks.
They need to rerelease this one!!!!!
goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 03:46 PM UTC
WOW!

I would save it.

old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 04:39 PM UTC
Yeah, I'm thinking it might be a good idea{darn it!}...too bad the other kit is only missing the top and two sides of the hull...I'll have to try ebay on and off...it could happen!?
I love my Uncle....I mean I did before, but now!...........
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 10:59 AM UTC
While I'm impressed, I just can't fathom why this kit would hit $185.00? I've looked now at ebay and the only thing I've seen is one from the UK and he's asking $110.00US and it has a broken part . I would pay that kind of money!
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Model Shipwrights: 67 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 01:06 AM UTC
I've got one and no way is it worth that much money. I think this was one of the lost molds when the moved them from Long Island to Illinois. Some were destroyed in the infamous train wreck and some were destroyed to reclaim the better quality metal Aurora used in their molds.
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 06:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey folks, got a question about the old Aurora kit "Boeing PGH-2 Tucumcari Hydrofoil". I just happened into 1 1/2 kits...2nd kit is missing the hull pieces but complete otherwise...

Hey Bob,

Yeah, I'd say if you can copy the hull for the second kit, go for it. The type had a rather boxy hull anyway, so even sheet styrene could work as well.

--Karl
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 30, 2011 - 02:39 AM UTC
Thumbing thru the instructions the other day....they called for the bottom of the hull to be painted "copper" instead of the usual hull red. Odd.
Was watching some videos that same day of the other Navy hydrofoils that were out at the time the Tucumcari ran...cool!
I'm surprised there isn't enough interest fromt the manufacturers to make any of these...what a shame.
I'll keep searching for the hull pieces but I'm guessing finding those will be like finding hen's teeth or two needles in a haystack......My hopes are to build one and save one. The LH hull side has alittle warpage to be fixed as well as the deck has some waves....too tight a box! I'll see if I can fix those issues 1st and then maybe look into making some molds.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 - 10:14 AM UTC
Hi Bob,

If you have two, I'd build one. I plan to build mine some day. I am even planning to get some H&R castings to replace the original automatic weapons.

History Channel had a feature of these vessels. The captain of Tucummcari was interviewed and remarked that Aurora told him that the captain figure was modeled from him!
alross2
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
KitMaker: 317 posts
Model Shipwrights: 308 posts
Posted: Monday, January 31, 2011 - 11:43 AM UTC
If you'd like to check the accuracy of the kit:

Al Ross
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
Model Shipwrights: 476 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 07:27 PM UTC
Old thread but I have an old memory. Here's the review of this kit: PGH-2 Tucumcari Hydrofoil

_GOTOTOP