_GOTOBOTTOM
General Ship Modeling
Discuss modeling techniques, experiences, and ship modeling in general.
Lindberg’s I-20 Japanese Sub Possible Release
pgore1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 03:16 PM UTC
Dear fellow modelers,

Like many out there I endured and was disappointed by the long gestation period (and end results) of Lindberg’s greatly anticipated 1/72 scale WWII Japanese submarine I-53. The expectation was that they would issue a submarine kit that was on the same level as Revell’s 1/72 scale Type VIIB U-Boat and Gato Class submarine. Unfortunately, the model Lindberg released turned out to be a simplified toy that did not represent ANY Japanese submarine used during WWII. Like many, I bought the kit as a “pre-order item” and had great hopes until I reviewed it at home. From what I have read it appears Lindberg did not verify the research of the professional modeler hired to build the custom prototype that was displayed at various trade shows (and whose photos were posted on the internet). I have pulled my I-53 out of the closet several times and reviewed the possibilities of building it. I still believe I do not have the ability to make it accurate. There is just too much work.

Having said all of that I do want to pass along some information concerning Lindberg’s unreleased 1/72 scale Japanese submarine I-20. I thought this project was dead because of the critical public response to the I-53, and (assumed) poor sales of a project that probably had very high tooling, manufacturing and distributions costs. I was saddened by this because I wanted the I-20 model much more than the I-53. From the internet photos I have seen the I-20 appears to be a decent looking model that looks correct in shape and outline…at least to me. I was very surprised when I read a recent forum post by “Herrmill” stating Lindberg sent him an e-mail that the I-20 was set for release in late 2011. Based on this I called Lindberg and spoke to Customer Service. I asked if this kit was set for release. They said yes and that the release date was October or November 2011. At this point I asked if the kit was definitely set for release and she said “the decision to put the kit in production would be made by the President of the company sometime early next year, and that his decision would be based on the number of inquiries that were received about the kit.” I also sent an e-mail to the Sales Contact listed on the Lindberg website and got back the same response (I-20 scheduled for release in October or November 2011). Based on what I have learned I wanted pass along the contact information below, and plan on posting this information on several website forums. If you share my opinion and want Lindberg to put the I-20 into production, then send an e-mail and/or call their Customer Service Department and tell them. I do believe the inquiries will be passed along to upper management, but it’s anybody’s guess what happens to them after that. I just do not see ANY other plastic model company (even the prolific Trumpeter) making a large WWII Japanese submarine kit…anytime! I do not kid myself, and realize that even if Lindberg releases the I-20 it will not be perfect. My hope is that Lindberg will make sure it is a vast improvement over the I-53.
One final note: If Lindberg does issue the I-20 DO NOT pre-order, and purchase it only after you read plenty of reviews or see one in a box yourself.

Sales Contact: Jody Keener ([email protected])
Customer Service: Olivia (319-365-5842)

Phillip1

CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 07:52 AM UTC
I sent my email to J Lloyd imports. I always thought Lindberg's I-20 prototype looked worthy and had doubts about the I-53. The I-20 should be a good addition to large scale submarine models. Let's hope it gets a green light this year.

--Karl
pgore1
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Model Shipwrights: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 - 01:15 PM UTC
Karl, I agree. If I did this right, attached are photos of the Lindberg I-20 custom build that was carried around to several trade shows. I am posting these for anyone who never saw them before. Also attached is an I-20 class line drawing which shows (at least to me) that the model builder came close in outline and shape (much improved over the job he did on the I-53).
Thanks
PGore1

bdanie6
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
Model Shipwrights: 50 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 02:14 AM UTC
Phillip,
I hope that Lindburg will release the I-20. I have been waiting for it since it was first announced. I'll give them a shout at the email addy you supplied
CaptSonghouse
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,274 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,236 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 27, 2011 - 05:57 AM UTC
Yeah, if one gets past the muddy weathering on the prototype, there is a nice model underneath. Furthermore, the type is a classic Japanese pattern, so other classes of I-boat could theoretically spawn from the kit. The one advantage from the Lindberg I-53 is its sturdy kit engineering which helps with such 'plastic surgery' , so kitbashing a kit that's pretty accurate already is half the battle.

--Karl
 _GOTOTOP