_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type
For discussions on ships by class and type.
Nervous newbie - first resin kit
rtread
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 06:12 PM UTC
I have ordered and am anxiously waiting on a resin kit from Iron Shipwrights....a 1/350 scale of the USS Horne CG-30. I will convert it to another of the Belknap class DLG/CGs .....the USS Biddle DLG/CG 34. I am a proud Biddle plankowner and have been considering taking this on for some time.....finally took the plunge.

The last models I built of any kind were the old Revell kits when I was a kid. So this is going to be a challenge.

Is anyone here familiar with the Iron Shipwright kits, particularly the missile cruisers? I'm sure I will be looking for a little help along the way.
Tailor
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 1,168 posts
Model Shipwrights: 676 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 22, 2011 - 09:27 PM UTC
Hi, Ray!
You have certainly picked yourself quite a challenge for starters.
I have a number of ISW kit, but none of such a modern ship. Usually I would not recommend any of their line as a beginner project. Usually, I would say that you should do 2-3 plastic models, starting OOB and then adding photo-etch and later resin add-ons before turning to a full resin project. Too ambitious starting-up projects are the number No. 1 killer for newbies and returnees to the hobby
However, if you dare to take the plunge be ready for a challenging experience.
Make sure to get a good set of modelling tools: Exacto or Olfa knifes and reserve blades, sanding sticks and paper ranging from very coarse to very fine grid, liquid and gel-type super glue and white glue (Elmer’s). You’ll need regular and needle-pliers, scissors and good side cutters. A razor saw should prove helpful, too. As in every craft good results are prompted by good tools in skilful hands. If you intend to stay in the hobby, get good tools right from the start.
In case of ISW kits you will need putty. You can use auto body filler or modelling putty, whatever suits you best (that where experience is coming into play).
Washing the kit's parts in luke-warm water with some detergent is a must. You should use a good resin primer before adding paint.
Be aware that resin dust may cause lung cancer so make sure wear a filter mask when sanding and filing and clean up your workbench after such modelling activities.

- Allow you to learn and develop your skills.
- Ship modelling is not a sprint, but a long distance run.
- Treat every part of the kit as if a model in itself and you will prompt a satisfactory result.
- Use small amounts of glue and the proper type for the job at hand!
- Please you and yourself only: You are the one, who should be happy with the result, nobody else.

I guess there could be said a thousand lines more, but here’s a start at least!

Have fun-

Guido
rtread
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 01:00 AM UTC
Guido, thank you very much for your reply and great advice! I am starting a info file for this project, and your reply is the first entry.

I realized before I ordered the kit that it was going to be a challenge. I have plenty of time and am in no hurry. Your advice "Treat every part of the kit as if a model in itself and you will prompt a satisfactory result" is very sound and will be my game plan going in. Thanks!
windysean
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,917 posts
Model Shipwrights: 54 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 03:45 AM UTC
I'm no expert on resin, and I see that Guido already mentioned it, but I just wanted to add that resin dust is no joke, so don't be shy about wearing a dust mask any time you sand or saw on resin.
That said, Guido put it very well! Have fun! Can't wait to see how your build goes-- post photos for the rest of us!
Being new, you don't have bad habits to break. You might teach the rest of us something new!
thanks,
Sean.
Bigskip
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
Model Shipwrights: 29 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 05:29 AM UTC
Not only using a mask, but wet sanding resin is much easier on clean up too.

Enjoy, resin is good!!

Andy
rtread
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 06:23 AM UTC
Thanks for the replies Sean and Andy! The safety aspect of working with resin is noted and appreciated!
Visit this Community
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 398 posts
Model Shipwrights: 292 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 - 02:18 PM UTC
One correction to Guido's post: resin dust from sanding is an irritant, but iit is NOT a carcinogen.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 01, 2011 - 03:26 PM UTC
Do not forget to buy CA cement de-bonder also!!!! (guess how I know)
capnjock
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 07:27 AM UTC
Ray, I don't have any words of wisdom to give you since I've not yet braved a resin kit. But I will be watching your build with great interest since I am very interested in giving resin a try. The detail possible in resin as opposed to injection molded plastic is impressive and there are some nice kits of subjects I'm interested in, like WW II U.S.N. cruisers, that are available in resin only so far. I hope you'll keep us posted on your progress regularly. I hope to be able to watch your progress and learn from what you do, anticipating my own first nervous attempt at resin ship building.

Good luck and happy modeling,

Bob
rtread
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 02:33 PM UTC
Thanks, Bob! So far, so good......but it has been slow. I was progressing at a satisfactory pace until I ran into a snag getting ready to paint the hull with a primer coat. The "entry level" airbrush by TESTORS was a piece of junk. The compressor froze up after a few seconds of operation. The process of returning it and buying a better rig ( Paasche H100-D) took weeks and when the new one finally arrived, we were headed out for the mountains of NM for a month....so I have yet to try the new airbrush. I will in the next day or two. I will attach an image of my work so far. Thanks for your interest!
vonHengest
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 5,854 posts
Model Shipwrights: 350 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 - 03:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One correction to Guido's post: resin dust from sanding is an irritant, but iit is NOT a carcinogen.

Whether or not any particular material is toxic, the bottom line is that ANY fine dust IS a health hazard regardless of what it is composed of. Fine particles like this can stay in your lungs for a lifetime and give you all kinds of respiratory problems. Always play it safe with dust

That said, your build is looking good and hope to see some paint soon!
robtmelvin
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 205 posts
Model Shipwrights: 163 posts
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 04:44 AM UTC
Ray, she looks mighty good so far. You are really whetting my appetite to try a resin kit. I've been looking at what's available and I'm between one of Yankee's U.S. destroyers and, if I'm feeling truly ambitious, one of their U.S. cruisers. I really like the looks of the Atlanta Class ships.

I'll look forward to seeing your progress and learning from your work.

Bob
rtread
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, May 13, 2011 - 08:18 AM UTC
Thanks, Bob. I hope I can help you but keep in mind I'm very new at this, myself. I have learned a lot already from folks on here and from trial-and-error, etc. I did learn a lesson about airbrushes....the lesson has cost me considerable time. If you plan on buying an airbrush, I might be able to save you some grief.
 _GOTOTOP