_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Cruisers
Topics covering cruisers both past and present.
"Basic Shipbuilding" by Mike Ashey
rtread
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 03:31 AM UTC
As I was making my way through the maze of websites devoted to model ship building, the name Mike Ashey kept coming up. Didn't take long to see that he seemed to be a major go-to guy for model building info. I ordered his book "Basic Ship Building" but it hasn't arrived yet. When it does, I plan to give it a good look before beginning my project ......1/350 USS Biddle DLG/CG 34.

I'm looking for opinions on this book....Do you own it? Do you use it a lot for reference? How useful is it? Are there other books out there considered better? Thanks for any information!
wonktnodi
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 190 posts
Model Shipwrights: 5 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 05:02 PM UTC
Hi Ray, while your waiting for the book to come in the mail you can read it on Mike's website. http://mikeashey.com/BOOK-FIRST-SHIP.htm
I read his book on detailing scale aircraft and I found the book very useful. I don’t build many ships but I have Tamiya’s 1/350 Yamato waiting in my stash, I’m going to go this book before I start building that ship. I recommend his books. I hope this helps.

R.J.
rtread
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 26, 2011 - 02:22 AM UTC
Thanks, R.J.! Im glad I ordered the book even though a lot of the info is available on line.
I just received the book yesterday and the title is actually "Basics of Ship Modeling". It looks like it will be very useful.
 _GOTOTOP