_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Cruisers
Topics covering cruisers both past and present.
Building DLG/CG 34 1/350 Resin kit
rtread
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 24, 2011 - 04:07 PM UTC
My kit arrived today and I am like a kid at Christmas! I won't actually start the project until i do some homework, buy some tools and materials, and am satisfied I am ready to begin.

I am a plankowner of the USS Biddle DLG/CG 34, one of the nine Belknap class cruisers, and by far the best! The kit is from Iron Shipwrights and is of USS Horne DLG/CG 30 but easily converted to the Biddle.

Building this kit is a big deal to me. This is my first resin kit and it has been many years since I've built a model kit of any kind. I will be taking it slow and studying and asking a lot of questions as I go.

Out of the box, the hull had some flaws on the bottom which were not a problem to remove. There was also a fiyer, independent of the main instructions, that said BEFORE YOU BEGIN then suggested that construction will be easier if I go ahead and mount the hull to a finished base. So that will be my starting point. Does anyone have any advice against pre-mounting the hull to a base?

Below I have two pics of the kit, the second pic with the hull upside down shows two cylindrical objects on the bottom centerline. My instructions say "Remove casting cones from underside of the hull with a modelers razor saw" I'm guessing the two cylindrical objects are "casting cones".....is this correct?

All help is greatly appreciated!
rtread
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 03:44 PM UTC
Note: So far, I've been impressed with some of Iron Shipwright's product.....but not all. They threw me a curve with their suggestion under PRESENTATION to use two lamp "finneals" to mount the hull to a base. Their drawing showed plainly what the "finneals" looked like. For one thing, they misspelled finial. I spent the better part of two days at the local hardware stores and on the net looking for lamp finials similar to what they depicted. Turns out a true finial is an end cap for mounting the lamp shade, what they depicted was a lamp "riser". I was able to find the 'risers" easily on the net once I realized the mistake. This is going to be a learning process for sure.
rtread
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, February 25, 2011 - 05:48 PM UTC
Thought I'd plug my brother's book, "Hard Charger! The Story of the USS Biddle (DLG-34)" by James A. Treadway. Jim is also a plankowner and we served together aboard Biddle from pre-commissioning at Bath, Maine to after the second Vietnam cruise. This book is available at Amazon.com here and at various other internet outlets.

s4usea
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
Model Shipwrights: 45 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 10:36 AM UTC
Hi Ray,

My father commanded Biddle from '86 to '89 and I picked up an Iron Shipwrights kit myself. I was wondering what you got with the kit in the way of the ship's boats as mine came with two gigs and a launch, and I remember, (but can't find a picture) that Biddle was outfitted differently...

Also, wish there was something to show where all the decals go....

~Scott Allen
rtread
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 01:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Ray,

My father commanded Biddle from '86 to '89 and I picked up an Iron Shipwrights kit myself. I was wondering what you got with the kit in the way of the ship's boats as mine came with two gigs and a launch, and I remember, (but can't find a picture) that Biddle was outfitted differently...

~Scott Allen

Wow, Scott! It's great to hear from the son of one of Biddle's captains! The only two captains I knew were the first two, Captain Scott and Captain Olsen. My brother (see book above) has kept in touch with Captain Scott all these years and has visited his home in New England several times. I last visited with Captain Scott at the first reunion in Longview, TX several years ago. He has been a lifelong inspiration to me.....I credit him with qualities that I carry to this day.

My kit came with two gigs, a launch and a whale boat. I believe those were what Biddle was first outfitted with.....but it's possible there were two whale boats.

Decals....I am relying on memory and images of Biddle that are plentiful on the net. The hull number 34 that came with the kit was too small. After some very careful study, I found the correct size to scale and ordered decals from Gold Medal Models (www.goldmm.com). I'm nowhere near putting decals on.

Thanks for responding! As I pointed out above, Biddle was a special ship and a big part of my early life. Good luck with your model! (I've been in a holding pattern lately trying to get caught up on a lot of other things but will be resuming shortly.)
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 03:16 PM UTC
What is a plankowner?
rtread
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 03:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What is a plankowner?

A plankowner is a member of the crew of a ship at the time of commissioning. In the old days when a ship had wooden decks, a "plankowner" could request a chunk (plank) of the main deck when the ship was decommissioned.

My brother and I were members of the "nucleus" crew which was with the ship at Bath Iron Works before builders trials while BIW was finishing building the ship. We rode along on builders trials as observers and in training. At the completion of builders trials, the Navy identified any problems that needed to be corrected then purchased the ship when satisfied that everything was in order. The Biddle left Bath and sailed down to Boston for commissioning. In Boston, finishing touches were put on.....modifications the Navy did beyond the Iron works.....weapons systems, computers, stuff they didn't let the iron works in on. Then we sailed to Norfolk....our home port.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 08:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What is a plankowner?

I was stumped by a couple of Tom Clancy's books in which the submarine "cleared it's baffles"
Sounded rather indecent: "he cleared his baffles with a bagpipe squeal"
Julian
rtread
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, December 08, 2011 - 11:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

What is a plankowner?

I was stumped by a couple of Tom Clancy's books in which the submarine "cleared it's baffles"
Sounded rather indecent: "he cleared his baffles with a bagpipe squeal"
Julian

That's funny.
"Clearing the baffles" is a zig-zag maneuver a submarine does so the sub's sonar can listen to the area of the baffles (the wake or disturbed water directly behind the ship). The baffles are a blind spot if the sub stays on a straight course. By doing this, a sub can see if another sub is closely trailing it..
Most subs (and other ships) now have TAS..... towed array sonar which allows them to cover the blind spot without maneuvering.
s4usea
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 02:16 AM UTC
Hi Ray,

Thanks for the kind reply! The internet has made the world very small hasn't it?

I remember two whaleboats, so thank you for confirming it. I'll have to send ISW an e-mail as there are a few other parts missing from my kit.

I'm finishing up sorting out the hull but have run into enough questions that I've ordered a set of plans of a Belknap so I can work them out. Come to think about it, it would have been very helpful if a line drawing had been included with the kit.

Unfortunately my father doesn't have many pictures of Biddle, so I'm often going from memory, So, for instance, I don't remember the refueling stations being marked. I do remember there being airports in the CO's sea-cabin under the bridge that aren't on the kit. Having seen Biddle out of the water while it was in Philly for NTU (II?) I do remember the forward part of the sonar bulge being black rubber which was pressurized with sea water. Anyway, lots of questions...

Thank you again,

Scott Allen

rtread
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, December 09, 2011 - 03:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the kind reply! The internet has made the world very small hasn't it?

I remember two whaleboats, so thank you for confirming it. I'll have to send ISW an e-mail as there are a few other parts missing from my kit.

I'm finishing up sorting out the hull but have run into enough questions that I've ordered a set of plans of a Belknap so I can work them out. Come to think about it, it would have been very helpful if a line drawing had been included with the kit.

Unfortunately my father doesn't have many pictures of Biddle, so I'm often going from memory, So, for instance, I don't remember the refueling stations being marked. I do remember there being airports in the CO's sea-cabin under the bridge that aren't on the kit. Having seen Biddle out of the water while it was in Philly for NTU (II?) I do remember the forward part of the sonar bulge being black rubber which was pressurized with sea water. Anyway, lots of questions...

Thank you again,

Scott Allen

Scott, being Biddle's "oil king" for two WestPac cruises, the fueling stations are familiar to me. There were 4, two forward and two aft, port and starboard. There were notices and fuel warnings posted but my memory is a bit foggy now.....man, that was 40+ years ago. Wow.....time flies. The airports you referred to are not something I remember.

I was a little disappointed with the quality of the parts. That may be standard for resin kits but it looked like rubble to me. From comments I have picked up on here, that's pretty much normal.....you have to be a little creative in repairing and fabricating parts. That's not my strong suit and one reason this is taking longer than I thought it would. I am in no hurry.....I want a quality model when I'm through.

I have mounted my model temporarily on the base and installed the shafts and screws and rudders. My next step is to give the hull a coat of primer....but I ran into a snafu in purchasing an airbrush....long story but it was a mess.
s4usea
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 03:50 AM UTC
Hi Ray,

I read your bother's book a few weeks ago. It is my father's copy and it launched an on-going discussion regarding the NTDS with him.

I found some photos on navsource.org of Biddle that have the re-fueling points, but the pics created as many questions as they answered in that they indicate details that aren't on the kit, (doors, reels, deck supports and such) and will need to be sorted. I also contacted the ship's photog via FaceBook who has helped me out...

As for the kit, my father's first command was the Waddell, and I picked up a kit from another manufacturer which makes an interesting comparison. Cleaner castings, but less details, so, on balance, not better or worse, just different. However, given the price of the kit(s) I have been surprised at what's missing: parts, anchor chain, mounting base(s) decent instructions, and in the case of the CF Adams, decals.

As for me I haven't built a kit since I was in school, but I was given Blue Jacket's Olympia last Christmas and have dove in, (side note: when Biddle was in the yards in Philly for NTU my father held re-enlistment ceremonies on the Olympia). When I stopped back in the day I was scratch building wood ships, but resin is new to me and I've found David Griffith's book on ship models helpful.

After I paint and decal the hull I figured I'd start a build log on another forum, and I'll post the link.

~Scott Allen

Admhawk
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 32 posts
Model Shipwrights: 27 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 12:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Ray,

~Scott Allen

Decals....I am relying on memory and images of Biddle that are plentiful on the net. The hull number 34 that came with the kit was too small. After some very careful study, I found the correct size to scale and ordered decals from Gold Medal Models (www.goldmm.com). I'm nowhere near putting decals on.

Gentlemen, I designed the decals for ISW and I can assure you that the hull numbers are the correct size. Standard USN hull numbers are 8 feet tall. The GMM decals and my generic numbers set also are the same size. Unless Biddle had a non standard hull number (which I doubt as they had welded beads from the shipyard to ensure future painting was followed correctly), then a decal number 0.277" tall is what is req'd. This of course is assuming that you got the decal set that I had printed.

If you need any help locating where the decals go, email me and I can share some of the photos I used to create the set. I ask to be emailed as I don't frequent this board.

Regards,
Darren
Hawk Graphics
www.resinshipyard.com
rtread
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 12:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Ray,

~Scott Allen

Gentlemen, I designed the decals for ISW and I can assure you that the hull numbers are the correct size. Standard USN hull numbers are 8 feet tall. The GMM decals and my generic numbers set also are the same size. Unless Biddle had a non standard hull number (which I doubt as they had welded beads from the shipyard to ensure future painting was followed correctly), then a decal number 0.277" tall is what is req'd. This of course is assuming that you got the decal set that I had printed.

If you need any help locating where the decals go, email me and I can share some of the photos I used to create the set. I ask to be emailed as I don't frequent this board.

Regards,
Darren
Hawk Graphics
www.resinshipyard.com

Thanks for the info, Darren. I will take you up on the photos.... so I will be emailing. I just measured the hull numbers that came with my kit and they measured 9/32" which works out to .281" which is very close to the .277" you mentioned. Close enough for government work ....lol. So I stand corrected.

I relied on memory and actually measuring hull numbers on various images of Biddle I have. Neither of those methods are an exact science. Thanks for your input!
warreni
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 5,926 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,624 posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 07:25 AM UTC
Was this habit of welding on raised sections to ensure later painting was correct widespread, and coud it still be being done today?
Admhawk
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 32 posts
Model Shipwrights: 27 posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 - 01:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Was this habit of welding on raised sections to ensure later painting was correct widespread, and coud it still be being done today?

Yes, Every modern USN ship I've seen has it, including the latest Arleigh Burke DDG and the museum ships that had the large hull numbers.

You can just see the beads on the corners in this photo,

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/71/US_Navy_040622-N-4104L-020_Seaman_Brian_Mattern%2C_left%2C_and_Seaman_Dominique_Whitlock_repaint_the_hull_number_of_the_guided_missile_destroyer_USS_McCampbell_%28DDG_85%29.jpg/681px-US_Navy_040622-N-4104L-020_Seaman_Brian_Mattern%2C_left%2C_and_Seaman_Dominique_Whitlock_repaint_the_hull_number_of_the_guided_missile_destroyer_USS_McCampbell_%28DDG_85%29.jpg

You can also see the difference between the fresh darker haze Gray and faded paint around the number.
 _GOTOTOP