_GOTOBOTTOM
Ships by Class/Type: Destroyers
This forum covers all types of destroyers from all eras.
DDG 22 Benjamin Stoddert
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Model Shipwrights: 102 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 09:59 AM UTC
I just finished this for a customer. 1/700 Dragon kit. My first real ship build, first 1/700 kit, and first water display. For the scale I really enjoyed it. Had no clue about how to make the waves/wake so I used the kit box art as a reference as it had a picture of the actual ship underway. Liquitex acrylic paint and sculpting medium was used for the water effects. Strictly OOB. Thought I would share. Thanks for looking, "Q"

goldenpony
Visit this Community
Zimbabwe
KitMaker: 3,529 posts
Model Shipwrights: 2,419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 01:27 PM UTC
That is a nice looking ship. Thanks for sharing her with us.

I knew a good deal of ex-Adams class sailors. They all seemed to love those ships.

Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 03:57 PM UTC
Thanks for the kudos Jim, much appreciated. "Q"
rtread
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 09, 2011 - 04:28 PM UTC
Very good work, Matthew! The DDGs are impressive ships, for sure. You did a good job with the wave/wake effect.....looks good. I'm in the early stages of building a Belknap class DLG (Biddle) and hope it turns out good.
FYI.....not trying to nit-pick or fault-find, but a US Navy ship "shifts colors" from the flagstaff at the stern to the gaff (mast) when underway.
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 10, 2011 - 12:53 AM UTC
Thanks for the kudos and the info. Had no idea. Not really a ship builder per se' Always good to gather info though. Thanks again, much appreciated. "Q"
Red4
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2011 - 12:47 AM UTC
The customer took delivery yesterday and was ecstatic to see it. Then I found out that the actual ship is sitting in about 10,000 feet of water. She was being towed in for scrapping when they encountered heavy seas and started taking on water. They cut the tow line and down she went. This was the first ship he served on in his 22 years in the NAVY. He felt better that she had sank and would live on in the sea than be turned into razor blades as he put it. I might have to do another one of these small guys...I had a lot of fun with it. "Q"
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
Model Shipwrights: 3,301 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2011 - 12:58 AM UTC
A nice build very nicely displayed Matthew !
Looks really good,
cheers,
Julian
rtread
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 31 posts
Model Shipwrights: 31 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2011 - 01:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

. He felt better that she had sank and would live on in the sea than be turned into razor blades as he put it. I might have to do another one of these small guys...I had a lot of fun with it. "Q"

I know what he's talking about. The ship I was a plankowner on was scrapped in 2000 at a Philadelphia shipyard. It was a sad day.....if it had been laid to rest at sea it would have been better for me.
surfsup
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 1,230 posts
Model Shipwrights: 1,212 posts
Posted: Friday, March 11, 2011 - 02:09 PM UTC
Very nicely done......Cheers Mark
 _GOTOTOP